big band rehearsal

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do you get 20 musicians and their gear in a suburban living/dining room with room to play? Very carefully. Not seen: the percussionist sitting on the drummer's right. Also not seen: pink sparkle Gretsch 22/13/15, 6x14 Radio King, and A Zildjian 14" hats, 22" ride, 20" china, 14"/16"/18" crashes, and 8" splash. A drummer friend came to rehearsal last week and took these and several more.

Attachments

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pete, this is Texas. Everybody leaves in a big Cadillac. It's the law.
...and has a Texas-sized living room to boot! That is way cool, and there are a few slim views of your Gretsches. I'll bet they sound fantastic in the that context.

I have a lot of rehearsals in my small crib - of 3-5 piece Americana bands. You've definitely got me beat!

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that brings back memories - about 20 years old and big band rehearsals in my folk's living room. My mom loved it, of course. Accept for having to stay after the horn players to drop their spit on the newspapers we'd put down rather than on her carpet (yeech).

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry about my flip answer to the question about hearing protection earlier. I was on my way out the door. A serious question deserves a serious answer.

I know that our percussionist wears protection, probably because his head is about three feet from my china cymbal, but don't know about anyone else.

I usually wear earplugs on rock gigs, but this band isn't as loud as any of my recent rock gigs. Our bandleader insists on good dynamics, and when we do get loud we rarely stay loud for long. Also, sitting where I do puts me out of the direct line of fire of the trumpets, who are most likely to emit damaging sounds. The most vulnerable would be the bones, but I haven't noticed plugs on any of them.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fortunately our 18-piece big band has the use of a large meeting room in a local church for our weekly Thursday night rehearsals. The band doesn't take up even a quarter of the available space.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man I envy you guys playing in big bands. I've been in a few "horn bands" but never more than 6-7 pcs.
It would almost be worth having retired nearer a bigish city.... almost. I will say though that there is a surprising number of good musicians up here in the hinterlands.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that brings back memories - about 20 years old and big band rehearsals in my folk's living room. My mom loved it, of course. Accept for having to stay after the horn players to drop their spit on the newspapers we'd put down rather than on her carpet (yeech).
WoW! I have the same memories early 60's; high school friends would come over on Saturday mornings, news paper on the floor then the trombone player asked my mother if he could borrow the bathroom plunger. She was flabbergasted when she found out what he was using it for. LOL

sherm

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah. Count me in the envious camp. My dream is to do a hard rock band (think AC/DC or Def Leppard) with a big (for a rock band) horn section replacing the 2nd guitar player. Lots of rock bands have used occasion horn hits. A few have done integral horns as part of the band but usually that goes with softer rock. But this is meant to be rock n roll with horns AND teeth.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WoW! I have the same memories early 60's; high school friends would come over on Saturday mornings, news paper on the floor then the trombone player asked my mother if he could borrow the bathroom plunger. She was flabbergasted when she found out what he was using it for. LOL

sherm
John has a bunch of white, hotel style towels. First horn player to arrive gathers the stack and distributes towels to each horn chair. When rehearsal is over the players put their towels in the washing machine for John to wash.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
One of the two big bands I play with rehearses in the local college; the other in a local church hall. I’m a lucky man...two big bands in a town of 35,000. I also play in the college concert band, regional concert band, area orchestra, a summer brass ensemble, a summer Dixieland band, and various jazz combos. Up to 140 rehearsals and gigs so far this year, on the way to equal or exceed last year’s 160.

Latest posts