Big Beats Big Smiles

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good Grief!
Just took delivery on my dream set of Big Beats.
24, 21, 20, 19, and a set of 16 hats

These cymbals play phenomenally smooth. Such a nice stick feel. I was genuinely shocked.
I have owned more than a few 2002 cymbals. They never stayed on the stand long because I didn’t like the stiff feel and/or they were harsh.
Whatever the heck Paiste did to these, it worked.
They are obviously thinner and seriously hammered.
The stick sinks into the cymbal a bit for a great feel.
There is warmth and shimmer ... and NO HARSH TONES. So happy!

If you’re on the fence about these ... jump.
They really are sweet sweet cymbals.

If you look carefully at the picture, you will see a few of my cymbal setups. Most are Paiste ... that company gets a lot of stick time here these days. The Dark Energy are my favorites ... but these are a seriously close second.

390E758A-3128-40A8-92E0-CBA5401DB6EB.jpeg

Last edited:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There was a 20" Big Beat at Chicago Music Exchange a few years ago that I wanted to take home with me. I'm too heavy handed for the hats to work, or to use the larger sizes as rides. I'd probably love the 18/19/20 as crashes but I'd have to pair them with something heavier like the SE or heavy hats and the power ride from the 2002 line.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such perfect sizes , what took us so long to figure out bigger cymbals ???

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Set from Reverb? I made offer, sat on fence too long, haha.
Yes. That’s them.
Man, we settled on a great deal in the end and the guy packed them like he was shipping an infant ... minus the holes punched in the box. A good guy to deal with. And the set is pristine. Couldn’t believe it.
I did film them with my iPad today. I’ll see if I can put it up for drummingbulldog.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
LOL!!

Those are gorgeous! Congrats! What kind of music are you playing with them?
Thanks.
I don’t honestly play a particular kind of music. I just play whatever comes my way. Some days it’s songwriter stuff ... others bring in some classics. When I practice, I play to everything from 60s Rock and 70s RnB to Brubeck and Aaron Copeland and even some crooners tossed in. Whatever mood I’m in. These honestly could cover quite a range ... not yet sure how big that range is.
I’m currently composing the music for an animated series ... which is freekin tough for a guy that doesn’t really read music. But it is what it is.

Last edited: