Big Fat Snare Drum?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both the Original and the donut. I've gotten a good amount of use out of them in some of the shows I've played. It's great to be able to get a completely different sound really quickly and easily. They're well made and easy to use.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought one just a while back and I can't stand it. Not for me at all. It just sits on a snare in my display case now.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw the owner of the company do a demo once. Really, to me, it sounded about the same as if you cut out part of an old drum head and sat it on your snare. Now it looked much nicer, etc., but the sound was pretty much the same.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on what style of music you're playing. If you're doing jazz or classic rock, you probably won't find a lot of use for it. If you're doing anything that is heavily sample-based, you'll love it.

Masecar

Reaction score
It is the same effect as cutting a head out of the flesh hoop. The physics are the same, so the sound is the same.

It drops the pitch about a third, and darkens it up a lot. I use mine on a fairly high pitched drum at gigs to offer some variety in snare sounds without needing another drum. It is not the primary sound.

The main advantage of a BFSD is that little rubber tab that you can grab on to, so you don't have to fiddle around finding the edge of your homemade thing.

I'm not a fan of the donut, if you want just attack, it'll do that. The original drops the pitch more, which makes it more useful for me.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on what style of music you're playing. If you're doing jazz or classic rock, you probably won't find a lot of use for it. If you're doing anything that is heavily sample-based, you'll love it.
On the other hand, it’s nice to have if you play a lot jazz. Keep it handy if you need it for the rarer times you need a big fat sound. Works great for me. I was quite surprised.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the donut. It IS great to change sounds instantly from song to song. It is more effective when played with softer hits, in the centre of the drum, less good when whacking loud rimshots. For the money I have found it very useful.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Echoing what others have said, a cut-out old head will give essentially the same effect. That's what I use. I add some electrical tape around the edge to give it some weight so that it stays put. It really proves its worth in the studio and live, when you need to quickly go to a much deeper tone.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Echoing what others have said, a cut-out old head will give essentially the same effect. That's what I use. I add some electrical tape around the edge to give it some weight so that it stays put. It really proves its worth in the studio and live, when you need to quickly go to a much deeper tone.
For me an old cut out head neither stayed stable, flat on the snare (due to being lighter than the Big Fat Donut) or lowered the pitch of the drum, rather than just deadening it.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me an old cut out head neither stayed stable, flat on the snare (due to being lighter than the Big Fat Donut) or lowered the pitch of the drum, rather than just deadening it.
Interesting. I've definitely had the complete opposite experience.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've definitely had the complete opposite experience.
Me as well. My old head sits perfectly flat on the snare, doesn’t move around at all, and isn’t stretched in any weird random places. Granted, it’s not overly worn out, but I’m not a basher by any means either.

Another thing I did was to create a little “handle” out of a small piece of gaffer’s tape for easy removal. Stick a small section of tape onto the old head, then fold another small section up and down so it sticks to itself, then stick the remaining section onto the head. Makes it easy to grab it and remove it from the head without having to peel it up from underneath.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
The Donut seems to be the preferred BFSD tool, I concur. The original works well, but I just can’t get used to playing on a weird plastic surface like that. The Donut gets a similar sound but you’re still playing on the regular head.

If you’re frugal, you can get the same sound a bunch of cheaper ways. A couple sheets of paper on the batter head do the trick, or an old head cut out of its hoop, a couple of studio rings or diy rings made of old heads. The Donut doesn’t move, it doesn’t change the playing surface, it’s easy to remove (even in the dark without looking), and it’ll likely last forever - all good reasons to spend the $20!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, it’s nice to have if you play a lot jazz. Keep it handy if you need it for the rarer times you need a big fat sound. Works great for me. I was quite surprised.
This is what I use mine for. Sometime you gotta play the blues (and not have to retune the snare)