header.nohb.html

Biggest game changer for your kit

Bri6366

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
15” 2002 Sound Edge hats. They mix themselves. Sit nicely and keep me from playing busy not true on the hats. A nice roar when opened, but controllable with practice.

Second thing is using a Pearl rack. Makes setup so much easier than using stands and arms and clamps.

Upon reading this thread, the 15" 2002 SE Hats immediately came to mind. Paiste Crashes as well.

donbseattle

Reaction score
Yes, it does. Easy to transport? Well, the base is heavy and I can throw it in my hardware case which is already very heavy. The seat then goes somewhere else. I haven't come up with a good solution for that, it's just kind of loose right now. I wish I could combine it with another item in a bag or case, but it's kind of big. My old throne would all fit in my hardware bag.
Thanks, Tornado! Heavy hardware is a drag, and I have bought several Yamaha crosstown light light weight stands for my snare drum and cymbals. I am thinking of making an exception for the throne, because the throne, some say, is the most important part of the kit!

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks, Tornado! Heavy hardware is a drag, and I have bought several Yamaha crosstown light light weight stands for my snare drum and cymbals. I am thinking of making an exception for the throne, because the throne, some say, is the most important part of the kit!

I learned a long time ago when being an avid outdoorsman and fisherman that comfort is not something you skimp on. The smallest things become massive irritants over a long period of time with other stressors involved. Stuff like technical fabric base layers in the cold, comfortable footwear, high quality socks. Just buy them. The same goes for drum thrones. You're going to be spending a lot of time on it. This is just something you put money into.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As far as purchases go, I'd have to say my Rock N Soc Nitro was a godsend. Reduced fatigue, and increased stability. When I sit on my old throne, I can't believe how unstable I am. Good luck playing consistently when you're wabbling around.
I feel the same way about my Pork Pie throne. Game changer.
Also, for the last 2 or 3 years i've been using vintage Ludwig 1400 flat-based stands. I can fit all my HW into a tiny suitcase.

becken

Reaction score
Me. They can't play themselves. They need the human touch!

Last edited:

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Three things have made a significant impact for me.

As mentioned by others, a year playing a bikini kit at an open mic, transformed my playing. So much.

Changing my 4 piece toms to 10/16 instead of 12 or 13 up. Love the spread, the pop of the 10 with the rumble of the 16, the natural octave they seem to tune to, and it’s just a high tom and a low tom… no playing tunes on the toms.

Lastly, I’m not gigging at the moment, so don’t really need to compete with Spotify over my PA, given I’m setting the faders… so swapped my trusty all wood 5B’s for Nylon tipped 7A’s. I really like the brighter cymbal sound, though I’d say it’s just compensating for my deafness… and the smaller sticks mean I’m not laying into it so much, so that helps keeping it from all getting away from you.

Flamateur Hour

Reaction score
Learning proper setup and how to utilize my current equipment to it's potential (or as far as my current understanding could take it).