Biggest kit you have ever owned?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I saw VH when I was 15 in 1986 and freaked over Alex's Simmons set. I had this crazy idea to make my own so I went with Rocker Ludwig bass drums and bought an SDS-1000. For the brain I triggered a korg drum machine because I could assign the same tom 5 times and tune each one separately. A simmons brain only had three toms so I didn't want the factory brain. I have no clue why I went with white either but that's what I did. It took a while to save up for all that crap but I still have the simmons set. Those bass drum were really low end Ludwig so I sold them. This is the only pic of me playing them and this is the simmons set today.

Simmonskurt.jpg
Simmons.jpg

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Are your crashes 22" rides???
I do have a 20" Paiste prototype ride that is so thin and washy it could be a crash, but I have it mounted as a 2nd ride so close to the rack that you can't crash it.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do have a 20" Paiste prototype ride that is so thin and washy it could be a crash, but I have it mounted as a 2nd ride so close to the rack that you can't crash it.
I love big boomy BD's, i wonder what yours sounds like...

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can’t even try to match a lot of you guys. But here’s my biggest set, 1973. It was double 24” basses, tho!!
I dig the timbales - partial to them myself

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I was working on something in the opposite corner once when my boy stomped on it. It would seriously make you queasy. It was missing the hoops for the reso head, and single headed drops the pitch anyway - but I was tuned well above wrinkle - probably the most tension I've ever run on a bass drum, and still measuring 30 Hz on the tunebot. I kinda miss it but I just have no space for such monsters in the music room.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200402_184658.jpg
in
Been putting this together again. Had it for many years. Tried to sell it and couldn't get 700 for it so decided to keep it and have some fun. I know a lot of people do not like the Rockers but I do, the lugs are way cool and those clear maple shells can sound good. I have a lot of work to do. I need to get a couple new heads and do a bunch of tuning. I have been fooling around with the set up, finally moved the hi hat way oit of the way,lol. This is the first kit a put togethet, bought all the drums on eBay and re wrapped them in maple veneer.
IMG_20200402_184640.jpg

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My biggest was a Pearl Prestige Session Select with 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" toms, 22" kick and 2 snares and 2 timbales.

Honorable mention:
Yamaha 8000 and Pearl BLX
Both kits had 10", 12", 13", 14", 16" toms, 22" kick and 2 snares.