Bill Bruford’s yard sale

DaveB

Reaction score
I wonder if he still has that Tama bell brass snare....that was the snare that made me want a bell brass snare...and he made it sound so good.
I believe Pat Mastelotto bought it from him a while back. PM mentioned it in an interview somewhere. Apparently BB's response when PM offered to return it to him was somewhere along the lines of 'my relationship with an instrument ends at the tip of my stick...'

kallen49

Reaction score
Glad that Mr. B. Continues to live life on his terms. A huge influence on me as much because of that as his great musicianship. Better to divest now while he can enjoy and share the profits himself.
What will that signed yellow Simmons pad go for? Over five figures?

He may have had a reputation of being slightly acerbic and a bit of a lone wolf (I met him once and we had a very nice chat),
I liked his comment that having stopped playing he misses the feeling of brothership with fellow players that we feel after playing live in front of a largish audience.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me the most prized of all his stuff would be the Supra played on the Roundabout recording.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe Pat Mastelotto bought it from him a while back. PM mentioned it in an interview somewhere. Apparently BB's response when PM offered to return it to him was somewhere along the lines of 'my relationship with an instrument ends at the tip of my stick...'
Interesting; I wonder if that's a true story. I bet Pat won't part with it if he has it. I think it's an iconic snare, in my book, anyway...plus, it's from Tama's 1st or 2nd year of making them.

Last edited:

DaveB

Reaction score
Interesting; I wonder if that's a true story. I bet Pat won't part with it if he has it. I think it's an iconic snare, in my book, anyway...plus, it's from Tama's 1st or 2nd year of having them.
If I can find the interview, I'll link it

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would also pick his super sensitive as that is my favourite snare. I have a brass version dialed in (to my ear) just like Bill's. Sadly that's where all similarities end lol

I had the pleasure to chat with Mr. Bruford one evening. He answered many questions, was engaged and shared a good 20 minutes of his time.

Thank god he has an amazing body of work for us to enjoy anytime! I think I will spin Beelzebub just for the Hell of it.

Last edited:

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll never forget being 20' away from him and UK playing in a club in CT. Alaska, the opening number. Just ran shivers through the body. His playing is always so clean and clear. He was using his roto tom kit that night. With Yes I was way up in the Yale bowl to really lock into his thing. I remember the chrome drums, though.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Saw him in '76 with Genesis (there I go dating myself again!, though I was maybe 16 at the time) and again with Earthworks in 2001 at the Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood. One of my favorites when I was coming up.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brave face but poor Bill looks sad. So many memories attached to all those pieces. Must have been painful to say goodbye.
He’s busy teaching university. My guess is he couldn’t care less. It’s baggage.
He’s smart and keeping the REALLY COOL stuff.

Genius at work. Take note.

Last edited:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, he never struck me as a very nostalgic person and he's made it really clear that he isn't playing any more, so why not declutter? I've also read that he's been very good/responsible with his money throughout his life so I don't see this as a cash-grab. I'd love to be able to get something from the sale, but imagine the prices will soar. Looking forward to monitoring the bids though.

DaveB

Reaction score
Your quotes are spot on - the Mastelotto piece is in Drumhead´s "Ensnared Vol. 2" issue.
Couldn´t find a link though.
Thank you! Would have spent ages looking for that.

So, the exact piece/quote was...

"You'll see I have Bill's Tama Bell Brass. When we met in Woodstock to do Vroom, the crew opened up a storage locker that had been closed for ten years. Bill said, 'Sell it all.' So, I bought it all. Once I realised the case contained his Bell Brass snare, I offered to give it back, but Bill so eloquently said, 'My attachment to the instrument ends at the tip of my stick.' I consider it a museum piece and haven't touched the tuning since I got it."

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thank you! Would have spent ages looking for that.

So, the exact piece/quote was...

"You'll see I have Bill's Tama Bell Brass. When we met in Woodstock to do Vroom, the crew opened up a storage locker that had been closed for ten years. Bill said, 'Sell it all.' So, I bought it all. Once I realised the case contained his Bell Brass snare, I offered to give it back, but Bill so eloquently said, 'My attachment to the instrument ends at the tip of my stick.' I consider it a museum piece and haven't touched the tuning since I got it."
Wow, So that's where it is. I'm glad he has it; Pat's a worthy heir!

Latest posts