Bill Bruford

larold

Reaction score
Also, is anyone here buying his 20-CD / 4-DVD Earthworks box set?

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe his official announcement, years ago, was "retirement from public performance." He then went on a clinic tour where he did not play drums, but rather gave a lecture (very enjoyable, by the way). That might have fueled the rumor that he had stopped playing altogether. He later obtained his PhD. in music from a University in England...maybe there was some performance involved with that, but probably not.
I bet he still plays. The picture really give me hope that he might be making music again.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would love to hear Bill hIt it again behind the kit. I hadn’t heard about the box set thanks for the heads up.

I love Bruford ... if for nothing else but the stunning blue shoes he wears.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bill Bruford posted this picture on facebook today. I thought he'd stopped playing altogether. It's great to see him behind a kit again.

View attachment 399092
I believe that photo's a few years old and was taken at his house. Exceptionally imaginative drummer - one of my very favorites.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
This excellent interview from last year will shed some light on what he's been up to. A very intelligent and insightful conversation, certainly worth an hour of your time:

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see him play a traditionally set up kit. Some of his kit configurations over the years left me scratching my head!

fibes3

Reaction score
One of my all time favorites.
Loved the first U.K.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lately, I've been listening to his playing on "Hold Out Your Hand", from Chris Squire's "Fish Out of Water" album. I really love what he does on that track.

fibes3

Reaction score
Lately, I've been listening to his playing on "Hold Out Your Hand", from Chris Squire's "Fish Out of Water" album. I really love what he does on that track.
That album was quirky and I love it!

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Yes, unfortunately never saw them with Bill as the drummer. I have seen Bill live with his touring band on the Gradually Going Tornado album tour. It was amazing. I've seen videos of Earthworks. And I've also bought a bunch of albums Bill's drumming on. All the Yes albums Bill plays on are some of my favorite Yes albums. I'm an Alan White fan though, too.

At this point in time, though I feel that, other than his solo work (especially his earliest solo albums which include Allan Holdsworth on guitar), his playing with King Crimson is amazing. The 3 primary colored albums (Discipline era) are awesome; partly due to the rest of the band being equally amazing players (for that era, Tony Levin bass, Adrian Belew guitar/vocals, Robert Fripp guitar). Even the first UK album is good (Allan Holdsworth is a big reason). Bill played with some great other players in the bands he both formed and played in.

His sense of quality and precision is undeniable, and he left a very high standard on all the albums he played on. I was sad that he retired, but look forward to reading his autobiography.