Bill Kreutzmann's snare on Skull & Roses

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been listening recently to the Dead's Skull & Roses 1971 album. While the sound quality is sort of period-muddy, I noticed that Bill's snare really pops. I believe he was playing a Gretsch Walnut kit 2 up 1 down in those days, but the snare might not have been Gretsch. Is that a Rogers? I think this photo is from that era. That's a big stick for the pingy sound he had going.

Anyway, just wondering if y'all have similar sense of the poppy snare sound. FWIW, I like S&R and Europe '72 when it was just Bill, not Bill & Mickey.

1627939427605.png

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two of my all-time favorite live Dead albums. quoted from another forum: "...in the Europe '72 LP inserts there were pics of him playing a Slingerland dark wood 5.5x14 snare." there are youtube videos from the period that suggest there are lines on the Rogers snare and therefore it must be a dynasonic. Not confirmed, but merely repeated by me. By the way, as an appointed grammar nazi, my favorite drummer has two "n" in his last name. Kreutzmann.

owr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Billy, anyone catch his setup at the recent Red Rocks shows? Real interesting hi-hat placement down on the right:

1627942092393.png

From the clips I saw he played these quite a bit. I gotta say this placement didn't do much for me tone wise, coming from above like that had him really chopping on them. Wonder if he's got some shoulder issues at this point making this way more comfortable. But I love that he's still at it and I'm a fan of the group of young guys he's put together for these "Billy and the Kids" gigs. Since these were live streamed there's a bunch up on utube and the like. Glad to see he's still rockin the N&C kit as well.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
note that's a Ludwig bass drum in the photo. post#1

Last edited:

JTBates

Reaction score
Speaking of Billy, anyone catch his setup at the recent Red Rocks shows? Real interesting hi-hat placement down on the right:

View attachment 511158

From the clips I saw he played these quite a bit. I gotta say this placement didn't do much for me tone wise, coming from above like that had him really chopping on them. Wonder if he's got some shoulder issues at this point making this way more comfortable. But I love that he's still at it and I'm a fan of the group of young guys he's put together for these "Billy and the Kids" gigs. Since these were live streamed there's a bunch up on utube and the like. Glad to see he's still rockin the N&C kit as well.
I noticed that hi-hat placement as well and wondered ...great band!