header.nohb.html

Bill Schnee Gadd Story

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great interview and Mr Schnee was certainly in the middle of a lot of groundbreaking work.

What I find interesting is his mention fo Jeff Porcaro suddenly no longer being a part of the Steely Dan sessions.
In one interview I read years ago Porcaro mentioned "being fired" from Steely Dan, but it was hard to tell if he said it "tongue in cheek" or not and the interview never pursued that line of the conversation. Curious though.

Mayan

Reaction score
In the Porcaro biography, it mentions that after he toured with Steely Dan in 1974 and when they were back in LA, Walter Becker called Jeff and said he was writing for their next album, and asked if he could borrow a drum set. Jeff assumed that he would be playing some of the tracks, as he played all but one track on Katy Lied. Since Steely Dan was his favorite gig, he was pretty disappointed that he didn’t get a call for The Royal Scam.

dyland

Reaction score
Touring the Southland in a traveling minstrel show
In the Porcaro biography, it mentions that after he toured with Steely Dan in 1974 and when they were back in LA, Walter Becker called Jeff and said he was writing for their next album, and asked if he could borrow a drum set. Jeff assumed that he would be playing some of the tracks, as he played all but one track on Katy Lied. Since Steely Dan was his favorite gig, he was pretty disappointed that he didn’t get a call for The Royal Scam.

I believe he also said that, in the end, he was happy he didn't get it because he learned so much just from listening to Purdie on that record.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just started watching this - it's the first six minutes. Great story - I'm also reading the Steely Dan bio - and back then it was all about the drummer.
Katz was doing a final mix in NYC of Aja 6 months after it was recorded.
He heard that Gadd was down the hall recording in another studio and invited Steve to listen to his final mix of Aja.
Gadd ,upon listening to the mix asked who the drummer was cause he was kicken' it.
Katz said it was him to which Steve replied I'm a bad mother of a drummer.