>>>>>>>>Bill Stewart ! >>>>>>

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
amazish said:
Here's how to solve this very important issue [important only to drummers l think]
Here's a "Jazz" drummer playing a mix of matched and traditional. Every time he plays matched he suddenly sounds lousy..... ; ] ahm ahm...

And here's an unknown musician playing an unknown grip. But it grooves !

Both great players!

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I doubt musicians that do the hiring care about the grip used. If it sounds good, it is good. Bill plays matched and totally smokes. I've seen him live in L.A. That's a bad dude.

theneonguy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This guy is really cool. Makes me want to work on my left independence more. Been doing it for a while, and progress is evident, but this kind of post creates real inspiration. Thanks.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bill Stewart is a very "aproachable guy". About a decade ago, I saw him with an organ trio at a NJ Library and asked him at intermission which cymbals he was using with Nodar Rhodes "Frankenstein Nut and bolt" modifications. {To keep the cracks from spreading}. He took the ride off the stand and handed it to me with a chuckle. Looked like a seriousy "trashed" 50's K, with two large cracks with one that followed lathing grooves. The cymbal sounded like absolute magic with Bill's "touch". :wink:

OZjazzer

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts. Firstly I thought this was a thread about Bill Stewart, not a rerun of the tired old matched verses trad warhorse. But seeing it has can I offer some observations?

It's a pity that we have so many videos these days because I'm pretty sure that if we only used our ears we wouldn't know, or care which grip was being used.

Can anyone hear if Jack Dejohnette is playing trad or matched on a particular recording? I can't.

No one has yet mentioned that Stewart plays brushes matched grip brushes too. And we all know that that is virtually impossible.

Back in the late 50's a whole bunch of UK jazz drummers led by the amazing Phil Seaman threw away the grip rule book and played jazz with matched grip. This filtered down to the rock drummers as well. Ringo was one of many matched advocates who managed to do quite well with the wrong grip.

In the main, jazz drumming academia in the US has decided that traditional grip is the right way to play jazz. Mel and Buddy said so. It must be right. For my part I'm happy to continue to play with the wrong grip. So is Bill.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drummerbill said:
Bill Stewart is a very "aproachable guy". About a decade ago, I saw him with an organ trio at a NJ Library and asked him at intermission which cymbals he was using with Nodar Rhodes "Frankenstein Nut and bolt" modifications. {To keep the cracks from spreading}. He took the ride off the stand and handed it to me with a chuckle. Looked like a seriousy "trashed" 50's K, with two large cracks with one that followed lathing grooves. The cymbal sounded like absolute magic with Bill's "touch". :wink:
Very cool story. Yes he seems like a cool dude. And his cymbals always sound great, probably because of him. I prefer his old Ks than the modern ones

OZjazzer said:
A couple of thoughts. Firstly I thought this was a thread about Bill Stewart, not a rerun of the tired old matched verses trad warhorse.

It's a pity that we have so many videos these days because I'm pretty sure that if we only used our ears we wouldn't know, or care which grip was being used.

Can anyone hear if Jack Dejohnette is playing trad or matched on a particular recording? I can't.

No one has yet mentioned that Stewart plays brushes matched grip brushes too. And we all know that that is virtually impossible.

Back in the late 50's a whole bunch of UK jazz drummers led by the amazing Phil Seaman threw away the grip rule book and played jazz with matched grip. This filtered down to the rock drummers as well. Ringo was one of many matched advocates who managed to do quite well with the wrong grip.

In the main, jazz drumming academia in the US has decided that traditional grip is the right way to play jazz. Mel and Buddy said so. It must be right. For my part I'm happy to continue to play with the wrong grip.
Amen !

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
OZjazzer said:
A couple of thoughts. Firstly I thought this was a thread about Bill Stewart, not a rerun of the tired old matched verses trad warhorse. But seeing it has can I offer some observations?

In the main, jazz drumming academia in the US has decided that traditional grip is the right way to play jazz. Mel and Buddy said so. It must be right. For my part I'm happy to continue to play with the wrong grip. So is Bill.
Good point about the Brits. Ronnie Stephenson played matched, too. So did Ronnie Verrell, most of the time.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still one of my favorite solos of his......I missed him in January up at the Kuumbwa in Santa Cruz.....DOH!!!!

And this entire set is just amazing:

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
I’d like to do a test where you get ten songs, half are matched players half traditional. I don’t think drummers would be able to tell the difference. It doesn’t affect your playing, it’s a bias based on what you see. Hearing with your eyes.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait. Is he getting grief for playing matched? Bill is the man.

Latest posts