Billy Cobham... always breathtaking - but dig this one!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good stuff for sure. Lots of sound, level and dynamic problems with this recording but Cobham still shines. Even when you can quite hear what is going on he is a fun drummer to just watch. I thought his kick, snare, hi hats and main ride sounded good together but his rack toms have to be some of the worst I’ve ever heard. He should have had Steve Smith stop in and tune those for him.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To open with that song is so sick. That's a lot of energy to put out there on the first piece. Man, the guy was a walking blast furnace.

His total sound, too. Tight Pinstripes.

I think Billy was the original "gong-drum" user, which was a cut down concert bass drum. He always found ways to stay ahead of the curve with gear.

Yeah, yeah, I thought this was the Tenth Pin video. Have mercy, that solo is just insane. The audience faces. Shock and awe.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Billy was my biggest influence in the 80's and 90's. Stumbled across this one. I don't have any words - just dig it.
Mike B
What kind of drums are those? Thinking Gretsch lugs hoops and floor tom mounts and Slingerland tom mounts, but not sure of the drums themselves.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Billy COBHAM (dr), John ABERCROMBIE (git), Michael BRECKER (s), Randy BRECKER (t), Glenn FERRIS (trb), Alex BLAKE (b), Milchu LEVIEV (kbd).
seems accurate
(same as a couple three albums beginning w/ crosswinds)

Partial return before mahavishnu/solo career/ to a band called Dreams
Michael Brecker sax & flute; Randy Brecker trumpet; Billy Cobham drums; Jeff Kent keyboards guitar & vocals; John Abercrombie lead guitar; Doug Lubahn bass & vocals; Barry Rogers trombone & Wagner tuba; Edward Vernon lead vocals (1970)

Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score
What a great band. Absolutely LOVE the Breckers. Can’t make out who the bass and guitar is though.
After Red Baron he introduces the entire band... but of course that's John Abercrombie on guitar! (JDA's list above looks right).

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
What kind of drums are those? Thinking Gretsch lugs hoops and floor tom mounts and Slingerland tom mounts, but not sure of the drums themselves.
- I could be wrong, but my understanding is that those shells were phenolic, with Gretsch hardware, Slingerland holders, etc. Not sure who built them - maybe Hinger, Land, or Frank Ippolito's. Phenolic at the time might have been available in Japan or via Pearl - Japanese Pearl catalogs circa 1977 offered phenolic shelled kits.

Latest posts