header.nohb.html

Billy Higgins' 22" formula 602 medium ride

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those seem rad. Hard to find used. What's the weight on that?
I don’t have exact weight, but they run in the 2450 range. Really smooth classic stick sound, one of the most musical (not shrill) Paiste bells and full crash that sustains just right. One of my favs. As a matter of fact, Matt Chamberlain has been using it as his main ride.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I have a Paiste 22” Medium Blue Label with 8 holes & 2 rivets currently in.. 2982g

My issue with any kind of discussion is this ridiculous mic placement - how do you know what a cymbal really sounds or feels like based on the proximity of this mic? Thanks for the video!

(I’m calling a controversial B.S.)
2C6B5C44-3EC3-4A37-A0E0-0F68C123ACAE.jpeg

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 22” Bosphorus Black Pearl that is a “Billy Higgins” cymbal. Three rivets.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I think this new one is a closer match to what you’re chasing than my blue 22” - mine is much lower in pitch.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I have to ask the collective intelligence here:

What magic is hiding the gongy undertones in his 22” in those recordings?

-the band
-his touch
-tape on the edge
-the mic
-the high end cuts, but low doesn’t

You can buy a 22” 602 and there are elements of it that aren’t what you’re after.

Reactions: JDA

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to ask the collective intelligence here:

What magic is hiding the gongy undertones in his 22” in those recordings?

-the band
-his touch
-tape on the edge
-the mic
-the high end cuts, but low doesn’t

You can buy a 22” 602 and there are elements of it that aren’t what you’re after.
I'd say with some cymbals the gongy undertones are just very quiet. Those are the studio-friendly ones.
When I started listening to cymbals online, it was on tiny laptop speakers. You got to hear the upper end very well, helped a lot in learning to listen to overtones, pitch etc. You didn't hear the low-end though; with some cymbals, listening on full-spectrum speaker or headphones was revealing.

bjisteve

Reaction score
Please share more if you don't mind. First hand recollections of the masters are always appreciated.
I saw him a bunch of times at Keystone Korner in SF in the mid-70s. One night - I think he was there with Cedar Walton - he must not have been happy with the energy level after a tune or 2. He hit a rim shot in the middle of a tune and it was like everyone in the building stood up at attention. And the band caught fire. Magic.

Eric_B

Reaction score
I saw him a bunch of times at Keystone Korner in SF in the mid-70s. One night - I think he was there with Cedar Walton - he must not have been happy with the energy level after a tune or 2. He hit a rim shot in the middle of a tune and it was like everyone in the building stood up at attention. And the band caught fire. Magic.
That is great. Mid-70s Billy Higgins is the mess -- lucky you! Thanks for taking the time to share.