Billy Higgin's left side 20" old k

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
just popped on ebay; Intermediate stamp 59-66 totally another sound from 67-72 New Stamp; but it's hurt..bad...

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
just popped on ebay; Intermediate stamp 59-66 totally another sound from 67-72 New Stamp; but it's hurt..bad...

The pearl cymbal stand is a deal breaker for me

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think im just going to have Jesse Simpson work this into a 1900 gram or so "old K"

I dont think it needs any hammering. I love everything about it except the weight.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. You are correct.

I don't even know how old I am.

Sheezuz

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
whew..for a second there 'I thought' I didn't know ya.. Happy Birthday (may right? yea I keep detail on everyone Ha!

That Paiste cymbal (and I like you're already "into" the MCJ collection)
Cymbal is something Higgins might play on the left today if he Lived : )

jb111

Reaction score
20" New Stamp 67-72 old K.Zildjian. 2009g.
Been with me for a long time that cymbal "It" picked "me"...one night in the 'birthing' room on ebay the only other fella in the room was Dr. Mark Polis he stayed with me in the waiting room and encouraged me to bid on will never forget that kind gesture. 2006 cymbal was born (to me) at night. (*lol)
Like children they come into your life. (lol ha) can't "pick em..

Sound: (today..) 10 minutes ago)

https://soundcloud.com/jda56%2Foldk20ns2010g
Dig it.

Reactions: JDA

jaymandude

Reaction score
whew..for a second there 'I thought' I didn't know ya.. Happy Birthday (may right? yea I keep detail on everyone Ha!

That Paiste cymbal (and I like you're already "into" the MCJ collection)
Cymbal is something Higgins might play on the left today if he Lived : )
Didn’t he use a 20 traditional towards the end in the main position ? Jesse is hit or miss. Like all mods

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the "hunting" idea, always fun and enlightening. Very much a cymbalholic-type thread!

Do you mean the cymbal in that clip , or do you think he played it in other clips as well? Here, I'm not even sure I'm looking at a 20". In some earlier clips with the 602 main it looks like a 20" K, but it could be a different one.
I think from one clip alone you can't really get an idea. Weight, size, performance etc., you need more angles, visually as well a sonically, to get an idea.

As far as modern series/models go, I also hear a trashy element, a certain imperfection, in there that is hard to find. Z is trying hard to re-introduce it by means of cluster hammering etc., but overall they're too perfect. Maybe some obscure Agean might be closer.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe (cough - it's the Indians, not the arrows- cough):
The cymbal in the video I attached. BUT........I LOVE his left side ride in the Sweet Basil Ron Carter Quartet video. I have no idea if its the same on as in the clip I linked. the Charles Lloyd duo. It COULD be because the room is super and echoey v.s. the controlled environment of Sweet Basil video.

Who knows.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Didn’t he use a 20 traditional towards the end in the main position ? Jesse is hit or miss. Like all mods
He used a 22" Paiste Traditional EXTRA light that he gave to the drummer ugg...cant remember his name!

Also he used a 22" old k as well.

One of the last recordings is the John Scofield recording with Christian McBride on bass. IMO that was the Paiste Trad 22" extra light.

Reaction score
He used a 22" Paiste Traditional EXTRA light that he gave to the drummer ugg...cant remember his name!

Also he used a 22" old k as well.

One of the last recordings is the John Scofield recording with Christian McBride on bass. IMO that was the Paiste Trad 22" extra light.
Tom
I think you might be misremembering. Billy gave a 20" to Winard Harper. But it wasn't an Extra Light (I'm pretty sure it was a 20, and pretty sure it was a Light or Medium Light.) The Extra Lights weren't released until the third wave of Trads.

1. Etched. (from what I remember no Extra Light in that first run.)
2. Ink
3. Extra Lights.

I believe the one that Winard got from Billy was a 20" Light or Medium Light. I'm pretty sure of this, I played that cymbal of Winard's when I sat in on a gig of his. It sounded good but was a little thick for my liking. It felt GREAT though. I think it was an etched one from the first run of Trads too. That's when I immediately ordered my riveted 20" Extra Light, by that time the Extra Lights had been released. (I remember thinking I wanted one a little lighter than Winard-Billy's.) Or I could be misremembering....

I DO know this though. Like the Paper Thin 602's, the Extra Light Trads weren't that thin, I had a few. The 22" Lights were pretty magical, the 22" Medium Thins were great all around pies. And the 20" Extra Lights were MUCH better than the 22's. IMHO!!!!!

I'll have to listen to that Sco record again, that's one of the only Sco records that I REALLY don't like.

Or I could be wrong about everything!
MSG

PS. That 20" Masters sounds really good as is to me.

Reactions: egw

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mark. Actually I saw winard with his group in Corning.
I met and hung out with him

He showed me the ride "billy gave me this 22" paiste trad. It has extra mojo. His spirit lives on in this cymbal"

He used it as main ride. It was super thin and trashy..acually washed out the stick a lot.
That's what he said about it.

Reactions: egw

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like same cymbals as corning.
22? Trad and 20" sabian duo ride on left side

jaymandude

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It helps me realize once and for all that I don't like to listen to Pat Metheny. I didn't say he wasn't good. And didn;t say I don't respect him. I just don't like to listen to him play most of the time ( I like Rejoicing).

Winard Harper is a mf

Latest posts