Billy Ward

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge huge fan of Billy. Had the pleasure of meeting him in Chicago and he was the nicest guy. Hope he's doing well.

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy is a monster and as has been said, a genuine and wonderful human. I took a lesson with him in ‘99 and within 2 minutes I realized I had no reason to be having a lesson with a musician of his caliber. He was really generous. I got lucky - I’ve had a couple of other lessons after and he’s been a friend since. I’m still working on stuff from ‘99.

And let’s give props to our own Cornelius who was the video editor of “Big Time.” Killer work Neil!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record , the part in Big Time where they crumpled up a newspaper was very easy for me ……….just saying ..

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record , the part in Big Time where they crumpled up a newspaper was very easy for me ……….just saying ..
I’m dealing with some arthritis and I’m using that to help rebuild hand strength!

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, Billy and I both took part in a "day of percussion" event in New Jersey. I was brought in to do a mallet percussion presentation. Billy and I were chatting about my clinic beforehand, and he said (paraphrasing roughly), "Hey, how about we do a duo thing?" So at the end of my time slot we played, him on drums and me on marimba, completely spontaneous.

I stank up the joint, unfortunately, especially in comparison to Billy's contributions, but even so it was a lot of fun and a very generous act on his part.

jhall

Reaction score
I love Billy! Years ago he was a guest clinician at a music store, that sadly no longer exists, but he was just as others have shared. Funny, engaging, authentic, caring, et al. I was a broke musician at the time and shared a lesson with 2 other drummer friends and we all took turns with him. He was encouraging and had just the right things to say to each of us to give us something to work on. I believe he gave two clinics at the shop and I had the pleasure of being his driver on one visit. Years later I was in NYC and inquired about a lesson but he was finishing up his second DVD. He didn't have time to teach a lesson, but invited me to the production studio as they were making final edits to "Voices In My Head." It was so great to be a fly on the wall and watch him work, tell stories and simply host a young drummer in his bustling world. I cherish those memories, and like others, his MD Festival appearance made me an instant fan. Grateful to have drifted into his orbit a few times. I'm better because of it.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your impression??

I’m not up on my jazz drumming history even a little …
My first impression? I'd say of all the drummers Mr. Ward talked about, his heart, his interest, is mostly with Elvin Jones. And perhaps listeners would benefit from hearing recordings - which are readily available - of the jazz drummers mentioned, more than hurried, so-so interpretations.

Discussing what Papa Joe Jones meant to jazz drumming is fine. Wouldn't that discussion be finer with actual examples of Papa Joe's hi-hat playing, his brush work, his solos?

Best,
skf

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Billy is a monster and as has been said, a genuine and wonderful human. I took a lesson with him in ‘99 and within 2 minutes I realized I had no reason to be having a lesson with a musician of his caliber. He was really generous. I got lucky - I’ve had a couple of other lessons after and he’s been a friend since. I’m still working on stuff from ‘99.

And let’s give props to our own Cornelius who was the video editor of “Big Time.” Killer work Neil!
Thanks Bill! Such a great time getting to know Billy on that project. The best part about working with Billy has been all of the great people I've met along the way.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Billy! Years ago he was a guest clinician at a music store, that sadly no longer exists, but he was just as others have shared. Funny, engaging, authentic, caring, et al. I was a broke musician at the time and shared a lesson with 2 other drummer friends and we all took turns with him. He was encouraging and had just the right things to say to each of us to give us something to work on. I believe he gave two clinics at the shop and I had the pleasure of being his driver on one visit. Years later I was in NYC and inquired about a lesson but he was finishing up his second DVD. He didn't have time to teach a lesson, but invited me to the production studio as they were making final edits to "Voices In My Head." It was so great to be a fly on the wall and watch him work, tell stories and simply host a young drummer in his bustling world. I cherish those memories, and like others, his MD Festival appearance made me an instant fan. Grateful to have drifted into his orbit a few times. I'm better because of it.
I remember that hang! It was great having you by the edit bay that day.