Birch snares... what am I missing?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've met a few drummers who hear big changes for the worse when the snare is changed, or the materials are not the same (or a good match, to them). For me, it gets more interesting when there are different timbres due to material, dimensions and all that.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything and anything can work in reverse too- get less interesting in a non-compatible way too..
having an Eames set - as you say - without an Eames snare? I don't think ..I've ever heard of that.. ; ) guess you could put a supra or acro with anything.. but to get the full rich..dose of a brand You gotta rectify that (as you state). I'd buy the first Eames snare that came up almost regardless of dimension..just for the full compatibility factor..

Premier used Birch (in the old old ones) and then in the later post-76...so there's used birch snares there.
Sonor had expensive high end Birch

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a good condition Sonor Force 3000 kit (or snare!) shows up and I have the right amount of $, I'll make a run at getting one. Sonor made expensive birch but the 3k wasn't thought their high end at the time. Those are great kits.

Speaking of compatible stuff to throw together on a kit, I'm leaning heavily toward this. It would work great with the funk my one band gets into. Kind of a hip hop/sampled cymbal kit but no electronics involved, and they can (of course) be used for other stuff.

This oughta challenge your thinking a bit. haha

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago when my buddy was in the market for a new kit, he got on a Pearl Masters Birch at the local Sam Ash. I noticed when he was playing the snare was just amazing. He ended up opting for a maple kit, but purchased that model snare in the same color of the maple and it became his workhorse drum for the next decade or so.

Back in the 80s I owned a Tama 14x8 birch snare and I loved that drum. I don't know what I was thinking when I sold it and I should buy the Yammaha RC while it's still an option. Birch kind of fell out of favor in the late 80s and into the 90s when the uber maple boutique kits came out. My current wood snare is a Tama Starclassic G Maple and that drum is just a powerhouse.

My tax refund seems stuck in limbo somewhere with IRS delays due to the stimulus checks. Whenever I get it, I've been eying a couple snares- Yamaha RC and N&C Birch are in the mix. But that Steel Yamaha 14x7 RC is so cool I might just have to get that one. I could get that snare and still have enough to pick up some Eliminator Redline pedals. OK...now I'm getting carried away here.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
my thinkings been challenged already (long ago) I'm
beyond "gear desires".

I'd like to know the story behind having an Eames set..without a snare. How did that acquisition come about.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not huge on birch because I love maple so much. However, I’ve been very tempted to buy a birch snare in the past. I’m sure I will add one to my collection in the future.

I love the sound of the British Drum Co. Legend snares, Yamaha Recording Custom snares, and Sonor SQ1/SQ2 birch snares.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When a good condition Sonor Force 3000 kit (or snare!) shows up and I have the right amount of $, I'll make a run at getting one. Sonor made expensive birch but the 3k wasn't thought their high end at the time. Those are great kits.

Speaking of compatible stuff to throw together on a kit, I'm leaning heavily toward this. It would work great with the funk my one band gets into. Kind of a hip hop/sampled cymbal kit but no electronics involved, and they can (of course) be used for other stuff.

pm sent

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my thinkings been challenged already (long ago) I'm
beyond "gear desires".

I'd like to know the story behind having an Eames set..without a snare. How did that acquisition come about.
I had one made for me with no snare.

• Wow
Reactions: JDA

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Pearl Session, Pearl Masters Studio and a Premier Genista snare and I love their darker tone. Some call them "scooped mids". They have a nice dark honk that I think is very musical.

I also have an Eames 15-ply and it is NOT the same animal. It's a little more aggressive and seems to like the high, Steve Jordan-type tuning. The same goes for my Sonor Force 3000 snare, which I think is 6 or 7-ply, but has a big tuning range.

My Premier Artist Birch 13" snare is hands down the fattest brush backbeat snare I own.

So, my vote is that birch is definitely different than maple. To me, it's not a small difference. Darker and a refreshing alternative to maple.

Dan
Used to call it a disco smile ie. scooped mids

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hey,theres the kit in Reno,pawn shop.
W/snare,1200$ ride was 12x12,thought about sending to Mark but the flo's not there

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Birch snares sound great just like many other wood shells. I have a Trixon 5.5x14 Birch snare with wood hoops that’s truly great! Never had a problem with a Birch snare or any other type of shell sounding out of place with a non-birch kit.

Reactions: JDA

JazzDoc

Reaction score
For comparison, I have two Joyful Noise solid shell snare drums, a 6.5" Birch and a 5" Maple. Both are great, both outfitted with Remo coated Ambassadors and Hazy snare side heads, and Canopus nonplated vintage wires.
I usually prefer the birch - higher tone, more crack and punchy lows. Very articulate and responsive. Versatile.
The maple is terrific for some warmth and a full bodied tone despite its shallower depth - love it for jazz.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had several Birch snares over the years.
One of my favorites was a Birch.
It was an early Yamaha Birch Custom Snare ... deep ... I think it was a 7.5 deep, but I can't recall. That was a phenemonal PHAaaaaaT snare. Loved it.
"They" say that Birch doesn't maintian the warmth or some such stuff when compared to other woods like Maple.
All I can say is that Yamaha deep Birch snare was one of the warmest, fattest, woodiest snares I've ever owned.