Birch vs Maple hoops?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A fun project just landed in my lap today.
I got an all birch premier APX bebop kit in merlot/ red sparkle.

12/14/18 with matching snare.

The bass drum hoops are natural birch with an inlay.

Im thinking of taking off wrap and staining this kit.

But. Im going to need to buy hoops. I cant seem to find birch hoops online

Will maple hoops be close enough in color to match the birch?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
anyone?

It seems almost impossible to find birch hoops anyway so I guess I might have no choice but maple.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No its the one in the photo APK

18x14 bass drum....all traditional sizes. It sounds beautiful.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
APK HERITAGE

for example

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t think maple hoops would be a problem. But, there are plenty of custom builders that I’m sure could make you some birch ones if it matters to you.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Whoa those are Nice..
I wouldn't put a nickel or a dime of effort into them. Just play em let em be.
Be hard to improve on original.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah they are sweet but

I got them so cheap and they are dead mint.

Yeah, going to either keep as is and sell to a student or take off wrap as a DIY lacquer project

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you had a natural birch shell and a natural maple hoop - no dye or stain on either - you might notice the difference, but if you stain/dye the shells a contrasting color and leave the wood hoops natural (which is a look I like anyway), the natural maple would look just fine. Or (if possible) remove the inlays and finish the hoops currently on the drum. You'd be left with the track that was cut for the inlay, of course, so you'd have to decide if that would bother you. (It wouldn't bother me - as a matter of fact, I did just that with my 1979-80 -ish Ludwig kit (see attached photo) - but as always, YMMV.)

franchi_2011_202.jpg

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If those were my drums, tho, I'd leave them as is unless there was some existing damage to the wrap. (FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc., etc.)

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe if you had a natural birch shell and a natural maple hoop - no dye or stain on either - you might notice the difference, but if you stain/dye the shells a contrasting color and leave the wood hoops natural (which is a look I like anyway), the natural maple would look just fine. Or (if possible) remove the inlays and finish the hoops currently on the drum. You'd be left with the track that was cut for the inlay, of course, so you'd have to decide if that would bother you. (It wouldn't bother me - as a matter of fact, I did just that with my 1979-80 -ish Ludwig kit (see attached photo) - but as always, YMMV.)

View attachment 446145
Hmm. Its hard to tell from that distance.
Do you have a photo that is closer?

I think that would drive me insane

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jim. So you are saying if i remove the wrap and get maple hoops and stain everything, lets say a light walnut finish, i wont see a difference?

I.e. these birch shells are very light blonde...photos of maple hoops im seeing are a little darker

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm saying leave the maple hoops unstained - just the natural maple color - and dye/stain the shells something that would contrast nicely with it.

mlc_spring2015_001c.jpg

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear you but i dont like that look. I like the hoops to be same color as the drum.

Thats what I was asking.

I know its very popular look to keep hoops the natural look. Just not my cup of tea.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Its hard to tell from that distance.
Do you have a photo that is closer?

I think that would drive me insane
Sorry, I don't have more of a close-up available.

The fact that it's hard to notice from any appreciable distance is why it's not even on my radar screen. FWIW, I refinished that kit over 25 years ago, and in all that time I've never had anyone mention the empty inlay grooves on the hoops.

Latest posts