Birch vs Maple hoops?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool. Done deal.
Ill do it like yours. If I dont like it I will buy maple hoops with no inlay.

They look pretty. Both kits look sweet

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While I can't and won't guarantee what results you might get with your shells and new hoops, let me put this out there. These are orchestral snare drums I built for myself several years ago. Ignore the drum on the far right - of the three drums on the left, one or more is a Keller maple shell, and one or more is a Keller birch. Same dye. Can you pick out the maple shell(s), based on the color? (The one on the far right is the same dye as well, actually, but it has a clear polyurethane finish; the others are just an oil finish.)

orchestral_snares.jpg

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. Done deal.
Ill do it like yours. If I dont like it I will buy maple hoops with no inlay.

They look pretty. Both kits look sweet
Thanks.

We've known each other for many years, so you know this is not offered with any sort of judgment or malice aforethought, but FWIW: when it comes to musical instruments, I've seen things bother you, that don't bother me - things that are about the same level of interest as these inlay grooves.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah. You know me pretty well. I know you too. Like..."Does ANYTHING bother Jim?" ha

I am sure there is something.

I still could just sell this kit to a student who is looking.....although I REALLY like the hardware and mounting system....and the tone is really nice. 6 ply birch. and the seller added brand new heavy duty triple flanged rims. A great upgrade

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll tell you-- I've seen a couple natural finished kits with sparkle inlays on the hoops, and that has looked gorgeous. Just a little accent color to break up all that wood, you know?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll tell you-- I've seen a couple natural finished kits with sparkle inlays on the hoops, and that has looked gorgeous. Just a little accent color to break up all that wood, you know?

Didn't think of that! That is a cool idea. Hmmm.

So that is a red/merlot ish sparkle

I guess I could start with a natural laquer/clearcoate and See how it goes. The red sparkle does go with the red in the premier badges though.

You have me thinking.

Jim. What finish are those snares? They are gorgeous. Love that stain.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim. What finish are those snares? They are gorgeous. Love that stain.
That's a "red mahogany" dye - TransTint or TransFast, I can't remember which. Bought it as a powder base, mixed with water, and proceeded from there.

(For any one keeping score at home, the drum on the far left is a maple shell, as is the Hinger Space Tone knockoff on the far right. The two in the middle are birch.)

The short stack kit is the corresponding "dark red mahogany."

Yeah. You know me pretty well. I know you too. Like..."Does ANYTHING bother Jim?" ha

I am sure there is something.
People who block the aisle in the grocery store, parking their cart on the left side while they stand there looking at something on the right side.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know if the hoops would match exactly, but I am guessing they would be close. You could always play with the hoop stain to darken/lighten it. If you want cheap, yet classy looking "inlay", there is a guy on eBay (Paper street plastics) that sells sparkle vinyl tape in various widths. I have used 1/2" silver on many fine bass drums and it looks great. Super easy and peel and stick, and only $6 for a roll that will do multiple hoops. I've also used champagne (little darker than vintage champagne) and red (spot on for vintage Gretsch red). It is sparkle, though, not glass glitter.

Otherwise, I would take the inlay off and either sand down the groove, or not mess with the hoops and refinish drums in a complimentary color. I found some ridiculously priced 18" birch hoops on Amazon ($93 for Stagg???; $240 for Tama??????????), but I saw these that seem "cheap" and would need to be redone and probably work. I assume if you can sand/restain, you can easily tackle the hoops....

I think this seller is on DFO. I know I've seen him on eBay.....

Last edited: