Bird's Eye Views...

Freewill3

Reaction score
Love those sizes! And I'm glad I'm not the only 16" hat player!
Never thought I'd come around to 16's, love the way they sound but didn't like the feel. I first tried Sabian's Apollo 16's but that lasted about a week, so I was able to return them. I found a pair of 15's I really liked so I thought, c'mon! 16's aren't going to kill you! I eventually settled on the Avedis 16's I picked up for a knockout price from Hazelshould. These are extremely comfortable to play, there's no sluggishness normally associated with the larger hats and the wash and foot chick are especially pleasing.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love those sizes! And I'm glad I'm not the only 16" hat player!
Yeah man! I literally just opened a box with another pair of 16"s. They might be keepers.

Never thought I'd come around to 16's, love the way they sound but didn't like the feel. I first tried Sabian's Apollo 16's but that lasted about a week, so I was able to return them. I found a pair of 15's I really liked so I thought, c'mon! 16's aren't going to kill you! I eventually settled on the Avedis 16's I picked up for a knockout price from Hazelshould. These are extremely comfortable to play, there's no sluggishness normally associated with the larger hats and the wash and foot chick are especially pleasing.
Ditto. I really love these Avedis 16"s. They've had a pretty harsh "tink" quality even when played on the shoulder, but I just put a couple of pieces of tape on the inside of the top cymbal bell yesterday (after reading about someone else on this board dealing with the same issue), and it made a huge difference. Now they're just about perfect for everything I'm playing.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is what I'm playing now.
14" K Con hats
17" Paiste Trad thin
20" K Con Ren
20" Byzance trash crash
With my 6.5x14 Inde aluminum snare and late 60's Oyster wrap Premiers
How does that 17" Paiste fit in with the rest?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
16" trans stamp thin crash 1009 gm.
15" 1st stamp top hi hat sizzle / trans stamp sizzle hi hat bottom - 755/775 gm. Paper thins but the rivets really spice them up.
19" trans stamp ride/crash - 1699 gm
21" trans stamp ride/crash sizzler 2392 gm
20" trans stamp crash/ride 1775 gm
18" small stamp paper thin crash - 1280 gm

on my silver sparkle 1962 Slingerlands 12/14/22 + 5x14 Hollywood Ace. Calf skin batter heads on all but snare.

Mixed it up again since earlier this week. Better tonal matches. I have a "perfect" weight Trans stamp 18 at 1425 gm....and it sounds almost no different than my 1960's 18" of the same weight. It's not always the weight. Tried matching weight 15 and 16 trans stamp hats and they are a combination of a bit too sluggish while not loud enough on the "chup". Yet in putting in some paper thin 15's with rivets on each side they really "wake up," and sound much more responsive and "heavier" than my actually heavier 15 trans stamps. So much crunch and sweetness in these hats....unusual for early hats. And the top hat is a great splash/fast crash on its own....no need for a 12-13". Still a work in progress. My "fun" kit.

best 1.jpg

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
14" trans stamp top/"S" stamp - 768/1027...."mini new beats"
20" trans stamp 1775 gm
18" small stamp paper thin crash sizzle 1280 gm
21" trans stamp ride/crash sizzle 2392 gm
19" trans stamp ride/crash - 1699 gm
on my '62 Slingerlands 12/14/22 + 5x14 Hollywood Ace. Calf skin batter heads on all but snare.

Tried several pre-1954 16's as crashes and none quite fill the bill. Hard to find 16/18 trans stamp crashes with enough "body" that can match the general tone of the 19-22 inch sizes. Tried matching 15 and 16 trans stamp hats and they are a combination of a bit too sluggish and not loud enough....so hence a "new beat" style weighting with darker 14's with faster response and more cut.

View attachment 435968
Ohhhh man. What an amazing looking set. Calf heads?
Every piece just looks so inviting, drums and cymbals. Buttery, warm and smooth, I bet.
I'm extremely jealous!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing new here

Hats= 15" small stamp A (~900g) over 15" trans stamp (1400g with small edge repair)
LSCR = 20" Block/large stamp A (2100g)
RSCR = 20" small stamp A (2200g, 6 holes, 2 rivets installed, plus a chain - the chain gives this compressed phasy thing that sounds like 50s r&r records)

Drums are 20/12/14 SSB gretsch in uniquelya faded, factory original "simulated mahogany" cortex-type wrap, and a 5*14 Ludwig Standard (probably from '68 given the white interior) in rewrapped BDP.

IMG_20200417_071738.jpg

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
IMG_0140.jpeg

Drums: (L to R): 10" Roto Tom, Slingerland Stage Band, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14 floor, 16x14 Premier floor (70's era), 14x20 bass drum and recently purchased Pearl Sensitone 5.5x14 Steel Snare.
Cymbals: (L to R): 14" Manny's Zildjian hi hats (made by Zildjian for Manny's Music store in NYC), 17" Zildjian K China, 16" Zildjian Medium Crash, 8" Paiste Splash, 20" Zildjian Mini-cup Ride (with sizzle chain), 18" Manny's Zildjian Ride/Crash (cracked - sounds trashy and looking to replace it)
Pedals: Pacific HH800 hi hat stand and DW 7000 double bass drum pedal
Misc. Hardware: A mix of Groove Percussion, Slingerland, Premier and Gibralter cymbal stands.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Wow. Slingerlands be comin' out-a-tha' woodwork on this thread. Where have they been hiding for all these years?

GeeDeeEmm
My one and only kit I've had for 44 years. Was originally a 4 piece Stage Band. I found the 9x13 Stage Band on the E of the Bay. Obviously the 10" is a roto tom and the larger 16x14 is a Premier in their WMP. I've actually considered seeing about having Chicago Drum make me a 10x7 tom using the Slingerland Niles badge and similar woods (poplar and maple). Maybe even have them make a 16x14 floor tom as well. I only found out about Chicago Drum the other day while reading through threads here and on another forum. I'm salivating. And I can finance a portion of the cost by selling the Premier floor tom. I also have a Slingerland 9x13 tom with the standard double lugs that I can sell as well. I may be reaching out to Chicago Drum next week.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
The jazz kit:

Tama Starclassic Maple, Meinl Byzance Foundry Reserve

View attachment 399312

The all out rock kit:

Tama Star Walnut and a mix of Meinl’s

View attachment 399313

Nice!
Does it pose problems for you to go from one to the other? I suppose you get used to the difference in drums and cymbal placement.

I played a large kit decades ago, but went to mostly 5 piece setups with small rack toms (8-10 or 10-12). If I install a 12 up top with the 8 and 10 it feels totally whacky and I take it down immediately! I'm overly entrained in the movements between 5 pieces and the cymbal placement, I guess.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice!
Does it pose problems for you to go from one to the other? I suppose you get used to the difference in drums and cymbal placement.

I played a large kit decades ago, but went to mostly 5 piece setups with small rack toms (8-10 or 10-12). If I install a 12 up top with the 8 and 10 it feels totally whacky and I take it down immediately! I'm overly entrained in the movements between 5 pieces and the cymbal placement, I guess.
Not really no and I feel at home behind either kit. 98% of the time I don’t play with all the drums on the big kit but it happens. I actually love it, to have all those voices. Makes me play in a different way.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Not really no and I feel at home behind either kit. 98% of the time I don’t play with all the drums on the big kit but it happens. I actually love it, to have all those voices. Makes me play in a different way.
Definitely. I didn't realize you had both sets up in the same room. That helps a lot.

It's weird, I can play with different stick sizes and not be too bothered by it, but start moving drums and cymbals around and my comfort zone shrinks. Playing with my eyes closed so much probably has something to do with it.

Latest posts