17" K Zildjian Thin Crash
6" & 8" A Zildjian Splashes (stacked)
15" A Zildjian Paper-Thin Crash
16" A Zildjian Thin Crash
22" K Zildjian K Ride
22" A Zildjian Swish Knocker
17" A Zildjian Thin Crash
17" K Zildjian China Boy Low

Vintage of the cymbals shown ranges from between 1974 and 2019.
Beautiful setup! Do you actually play with that setup? It seems like too many choices, too hard to remember what they all sound like.

Rick

Reaction score

13" K Custom Dark hats, 18" K Constantinople crash, 10" K Custom Dark splash, 20" K Constantinople Light ride with 3 rivets, 17" K Custom Dark crash, and a 20" K Constantinople Medium ride. Drums are Tama Starclassic Maple. Snare is a Tama Starphonic Bubinga. Photo was taken from the balcony of a music school in a shopping center with several restaurants where we did a free live music event last Saturday and live-streamed it on Facebook. Had about 50 to 60 people in the parking lot (properly socially distanced) and almost 4,000 views on Facebook by the time the performance was over!

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

13" K Custom Dark hats, 18" K Constantinople crash, 10" K Custom Dark splash, 20" K Constantinople Light ride with 3 rivets, 17" K Custom Dark crash, and a 20" K Constantinople Medium ride. Drums are Tama Starclassic Maple. Snare is a Tama Starphonic Bubinga. Photo was taken from the balcony of a music school in a shopping center with several restaurants where we did a free live music event last Saturday and live-streamed it on Facebook. Had about 50 to 60 people in the parking lot (properly socially distanced) and almost 4,000 views on Facebook by the time the performance was over!
That's awesome man! Sounds like fun to me.
Beautiful drums and cymbals, too.
How are those K Customs with the K Cons?

Rick

Reaction score
That's awesome man! Sounds like fun to me.
Beautiful drums and cymbals, too.
How are those K Customs with the K Cons?
Thanks! I really like the combination I have now. To my ear, it all goes great together! It's taken me some time to find what I think is the best combo of cymbals for my purposes. I play a combination of jazz, classic soul, blues, latin, funk, etc. Those cymbals work great for all of it. The most recent change I made was replacing a K Custom Dark 20" ride with the K Con 20" medium ride. The K Custom Dark ride was a great cymbal, but it just didn't pair well with the other K Con ride. Never sounded natural switching between the two during a song. I did a lot of listening to Memphis Drum Shop videos to find the cymbal I thought would pair best with that 20" K Con light ride with the rivets. The K Con Medium won that contest. I was able to order the one that I thought sounded best from Memphis Drum Shop, and I've been super happy with it. I can't see making any changes in the foreseeable future. I'm sure at some point I might get tired and want to try something different. But right now I feel like I've found the holy grail in terms of my sound.

Oh, I almost forgot... I did also recently replace my splash cymbal. I had a 10" A Flash Splash. It REALLY didn't go well with the other cymbals. Just too bright. Would be fantastic with other A's I think! I replaced it with the 10" K Custom Dark splash and that's worked out beautifully. BTW, I have that 10" Flash Splash for sale over in the cymbals for sale section if anyone is interested!

Last edited:

kevin klever

Reaction score
Long time no birds eyes. Here's a couple nice ones from recently...

20200501_195439.jpg

SSB bop, leedy broadway parallel 7x14, 20 hollow block, 20 large stamp, 14 trans stamps, wilcoxon 91 + 92 on the rack tom.

20200113_225454.jpg

RB prog jazz, 21 Lauritsen, 20 hollow block, 16 old stamp IVa hats, 3 super killer local pilsners, really awful rug.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not exactly a bird's eye view, but ...
I figured that since I am departing from my minimalist kits (usually a snare drum, bass drum, hi-hats and ride cymbal) that I would configure my new Catalina Special Edition kit with appropriate cymbals. I absolutely do not use crash cymbals (and usually come out of fills on 4 instead of 1 in the next bar), so aside from hi-hats the only cymbals that I own or will ever use are crash/rides and rides. The far right china in the photo is for riding and is especially useful in traditional jazz (a.k.a. "Dixieland) and backing bassists and lower register instrument solos. My new motto with the ungodly number of drums and cymbals in the kit is "So many things to hit; so little time." Or, put another way, I have many combinations and permutations of drums and cymbals to entice me to f*ck up the groove.
rideem5-Labeled.jpg

Edited to add video sound file:

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Almost all of my vintage A's.
16" trans stamp hats
18" hollow block stamp
18" small stamp
20" 60's
20" 60's swish
24" trans stamp

Are those 16"s factory hats? Weights?
I'm jealous.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They aren't a factory set, but they play very well together. The top is a thin crash (900-something grams), and the bottom is most likely a band cymbal (very heavy, around 1500g., iirc) with 4 rivets added to it.
Wow. Could we hear these sweet babies?

Latest posts