Bird's Eye Views...

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Had my first real gig since March in a studio playing with tracks and replacing loops with live drums. You know, the opposite of what they used to do in the early part of this century. Just me and bass. Two days of masked socially distanced recording. Super fun plus I finally found my snare sound.

View attachment 455128
That ride has the look Sinc! Tried any rivets in it yet?

Mike

kevin klever

Reaction score
Beautiful setup Kevin. Any idea on the weight of the 22?

Mike
Thanks Mike. This 22 feels like it's around 2350g, so it's probably close to 2600g since most/all of the 50s large stamps (including hollow block) have a lot of the weight concentrated up towards the bell, with a decent taper and lowish tension along the bow, so they generally play lighter than they are. This one is one of the nicest 22" cymbals I've ever played (which is saying a lot). Low pitch over all, super clean but with a touch of trash when shanked, sparkly transitional-stamp kinda wash but dry and darker like a hollow block stamp. I'm gonna drill it for 6 rivets I'm pretty sure. Big thanks to Steven (Shelfand) for passing this along.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. This 22 feels like it's around 2350g, so it's probably close to 2600g since most/all of the 50s large stamps (including hollow block) have a lot of the weight concentrated up towards the bell, with a decent taper and lowish tension along the bow, so they generally play lighter than they are. This one is one of the nicest 22" cymbals I've ever played (which is saying a lot). Low pitch over all, super clean but with a touch of trash when shanked, sparkly transitional-stamp kinda wash but dry and darker like a hollow block stamp. I'm gonna drill it for 6 rivets I'm pretty sure. Big thanks to Steven (Shelfand) for passing this along.

Thanks for the info on that one. You described exactly what I see/feel on the 22" Large Stamps that I have, most being Block Stamps. There's some magic in those cymbals to me. I think you have a winner there!

Mike

AgentGreen

Reaction score
I finally got a decent set of cymbals, the Istanbul Agop Xist natural set 14 HH, 16 & 18 Crash, 20 ride and a 10 Ion splash that came with the set (plus a hard case). I ran out of stands, so I put the splash on top of the 18 crash. They had two sets that I can pick and choose from, and so I did. They sound pretty damn good to my ears. Here's the view, excuse the mess :)
bev.jpg

Edit: As in I could mix and match from the two sets

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl gigging set with matching Pioneer snare; newer Ludwig tom mount on original Hollywood kick drum mount; with a newer 19" Zildjian A Thin Crash and a late 50's Zildjian A Small stamp 20"..... a lot of fun to play

Attachments

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Changed things a bit since my previous post (still 100% Zildjian):

IMG_0666_S.jpg

Clockwise from lower left:
17" K Med Thin Crash
14" A New Beat Hi Hats
17" A Thin Crash
6" A over 8" A Splash Stack
15" A Paper Thin Crash
16" A Thin Crash
22" K Ride
22" A Swish Knocker
22" A Avedis Dark Ride (sometimes 22" K Heavy Ride)
17" K Thin Crash
17" K China Boy Low (6 rivets added)

Vintage varies between 1974 and 2020

Bongo Jesus

Reaction score
All K Sweets huh? Nice set-up.
Are those little squares of Moon Gel on the tom heads?
Yep all K sweets except a 20" K cluster on the far right. Those are Moongel correct. Im waiting on an order of heads, I'll be using clear emperors for tom batters. Also waiting for a matching 14x6 edge snare but thats a few months out still.