Bird's Eye Views...

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an ode to Cymbalholic, I motion to start a new Bird's Eye thread for all to enjoy.
I used to get an immense amount of enjoyment when I'd scroll back through the years of that thread. Maybe we can keep the tradition going here?

I'll start us off with my current attic practice-space setup.
I kind of thought by the time I was 30, band practices wouldn't be relegated to such undesirable places, but...
I guess I was wrong.
Here ya go:
20-8-13 w/ a steel 14x6.5
Super thin banged-up 15" trannies, 21" Bos Syncopation and a 19" Sweet crash.
Dig it.

Attachments

tosmos331

Reaction score
Is that one of those ribbed shelled aluminum slingerland student snares? I still regret not stealing one from my middle school twenty years later
Yes it is. 10 lugs model. Currently I have Fiberskyn on, but that doen't seem right. It may need some kind of coated 2-ply, just to add some weight. I am open to suggestions. Thank you
SlingerlandAlmi001.jpg

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Yes it is. 10 lugs model. Currently I have Fiberskyn on, but that doen't seem right. It may need some kind of coated 2-ply, just to add some weight. I am open to suggestions. Thank you View attachment 505691
Ours still had smooth white slingerland branded black dots and sounded good. In general with a new snare I like to try a coated ambassador and see how that goes. If thats too lively I usually go to a coated emperor or coated black dot. Aluminum is usually fairly dry so the more extreme options like powerstrokes are rarely necessary for a general purpose snare sound.

If thats too dead or dry try a clear black dot. If its never been changed a hazy ambassador snare side is a pretty good all purpose head, I tend to like diplomat snare side which are a little lighter so you get a fat initial snare sound with less ring/sustain but its all pretty subjective. I wouldn’t go heavier than the ambassador snare side unless you really hammer the drum and don’t want much snare wire in the sound

tosmos331

Reaction score
Thank you for the advise. I am planning to get either a regular EMPEROR COATED or EMPEROR VINTAGE COATED head for this drum, though not really sure RE the difference between the 2. I may create a new thread about this snare since this room is for cymbals. Thanks again.

1988fxlr

Reaction score
N
Thank you for the advise. I am planning to get either a regular EMPEROR COATED or EMPEROR VINTAGE COATED head for this drum, though not really sure RE the difference between the 2. I may create a new thread about this snare since this room is for cymbals. Thanks again.
Not to keep derailing this thread, but I’d try the regular coated emperor first. Vintage emperor is even thicker so you’ll lose less body on a shallow snare with the regular. Have fun

jmoll

Reaction score
Picture from a live recording made last week.
The cymbals are all Zildjian K Istanbul except for the two chinesse bells and a little gong.
Left to Right:

- 15" Old Stamp IIa over IIIc
- 18" Old Stamp III
- 20" Old Stamp IIIa
- 20" Old Stamp III

Drums are 60's Gretsch Round Badge 18/12/14 and the snare is a 4160 COB from the same era.

IMG_1626.jpg