Bird's Eye Views...

lcondo123

Reaction score
Kinda cramped since I was crammed in a corner for rehearsal, but here's my current rig.

15" BL 2002 SE hats
18" 602 Ride
20" WL Giant Beat
24" Reissue Giant Beat

I really want to add an 18" GB crash to counter with the darker 18" 602 ride. Also maybe some sort of 22" crash/cymbal stack over to my right.

Also desperately interested in 16" or 17" hats. Thinking Giant Beats or 602's, probably Sound Edges. Those would have to be custom ordered, obviously. I'm on a huge Patrick Keeler kick right now, which means bigger drums and bigger cymbals!

Here's another fun one. I was tracking with my band back over the summer and brought out my 28" Rogers bass drum. Get a load of this bird's eye view...

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just browsing over the last few pages, I'm struck by how many folks have switched to kits with small bass drums and two toms. I wonder how much longer this trend will last? I don't have a horse in the race. I've been playing - with only a few exceptions - four-piece kits for the last fifty+ years, though in traditional sizes. (It dawned on me the other day that, even though I've owned literally dozens of kits, every single one of those kits had a 22" bass drum. Now I want to try a 24" and a 20" bass drum before God includes me in his weekly harvest. I need to find somebody that has spare drums in those sizes for me to audition. If any central Arkansas members are willing to use their bass drums for a week, please contact me.

One other point that sprung to mind while perusing the birds-eye pics, is that I've finally picked a side when it comes to keeping or removing cymbal ink: I'm anti-ink. There, I've said it. Naked cymbals simply look better. Their acres of shiny, glorious bronze offers up so much visual stimulation that pedestrian ink acts as an intruder who interrupts the visual harmony presented by the nakeds.

GeeDeeEmm

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If any central Arkansas members are willing to use their bass drums for a week, please contact me.
GeeDeeEmm
Hey man, Im not there any longer, Ive been here (Chattanooga , TN) for decades... but where are you from in Arkansas? I'm originally from Malvern and lived a bit in Bryant while at ULAR.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So the kit is not new this week, it's my old Gretsch Catalina's and first gen Pearl Sensitone Brass snare that I sold to a local church where I had the opportunity to play today. Love the kit, it's perfect for the room and the snare is a dream to play. But today I played my old set of Sabian XSR Monarch's that I had bought for a practice set a couple of years ago. I got them to be a little darker and quieter but never played out with them, just in my practice room and man, did I miss a great opportunity!

The 15" hats and 22" crash / ride is just lush, full and wonderful! I could care less the series, these things are really sweet pies! I had sold the orgional 17" crash as I was using the others with my 24" King, si I rounded out the set with a 16" Thin Sabian AA 20th Anniversary crash on the left. I had a great time playing the kit and with their musicians as well.

I hope everyone had the opportunity to spend a little time today on a kit somehere!
Ward

20200209_093439 copy.jpg

OK, I know this is NOT a birds eye view, but I took this image from down on the floor and I just thought it was a cool perspective!

20200209_120242 copy.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That hardware really pulls the whole vibe together. :D

LOL!!! You KNOW it does! When this church needed a small, on site kit... I was able to fill the drum, snare and cymbal requirements with this nice DW hardware pack from NP! I think together we made a nice team on this! Thanks again for the great deal, so much appreciated.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey man, Im not there any longer, Ive been here (Chattanooga , TN) for decades... but where are you from in Arkansas? I'm originally from Malvern and lived a bit in Bryant while at ULAR.
I thought I detected a southern accent in your voice!

I live a few miles south of Little Rock, right at the start of the armpit of the state.

And, I'm just kidding about using somebody's bass drum.

GeeDeeEmm

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought I detected a southern accent in your voice!

I live a few miles south of Little Rock, right at the start of the armpit of the state.

And, I'm just kidding about using somebody's bass drum.

GeeDeeEmm

Ahhh... home sweet home!!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just did a gig Saturday at one of the local libraries. It was my first gig post Neil's passing, So I pulled out a vintage Slingerland 12-14-18 dated 1966 and a mahogany Slingy snare from 1959 that I sticker bombed in tribute to the Professor. Set sounded Fabulous as did the snare. Hi hats were an old 14 in. A over a quick beat top, 18 Dream vintage bliss crash ride, 20 Bosphorus traditional ride and a 19 inch Soultone old school patina crash, my standard live setup. Great gig!

20200208_120605.jpg
20200208_120810.jpg
20200208_120820.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just did a gig Saturday at one of the local libraries. It was my first gig post Neil's passing, So I pulled out a vintage Slingerland 12-14-18 dated 1966 and a mahogany Slingy snare from 1959 that I sticker bombed in tribute to the Professor. Set sounded Fabulous as did the snare. Hi hats were an old 14 in. A over a quick beat top, 18 Dream vintage bliss crash ride, 20 Bosphorus traditional ride and a 19 inch Soultone old school patina crash, my standard live setup. Great gig!

View attachment 427033 View attachment 427034 View attachment 427037

Those are sweet!