Black Beauty help please- Its here and I think newer?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Could someone who knows Ludwig good go to Guitar Centers used site and tell me which of the Black Beauty’s is the best to buy. I’m thinking the first two but I know squat. Thanks

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Another great photo job by GC showing the first one comes with both heads and a case. Argh! It also looks like there is something rolled up inside the drum with tape on it (?). Optical illusion? I'd usually call the store and ask a couple more questions about this one.

I might jump on the second one just because it's presented so much better. But having said that, GC's used gear return policy is basically "bring it back to your local GC and we'll take it minus shipping costs". So either one is an easy return. You could even get both and return the one you like least. Now, you might be out the shipping fee (A/B testing fee?) on the one you return, but you might not: Since BB's are Black Nickel over Brass, with the first one being described as "Black Chrome" & the second one as "Metallic Silver" you could probably get them to waive the shipping costs as well since the product was "not as described" should you want to return it. The "Excellent" condition rating on both might give you some leverage as well once you have it/them in your hands and can check it out...

Edited: Just saw this one as well - Only one photo, tube lugs (possible deal breaker for some) and described as in "great condition" - $549.99...It's another one I'd probably call about with a few questions: Original, fully functional strainer? Bottom head/wires intact? All tension rods accounted for? Shell marks or scratches?

Last edited:

mrmike

Reaction score
The first one is showing mostly heads which most of the time tells you nothing but in this case it appears to be the original heads with little to no wear. The second one has a lot of finger prints but does show the newer throw which probably means it's fairly new. The price on both is fair and personally I would not have any problem pulling the trigger on either one if I was in the market for a BB. If the first one has the old P85 throw I would get the second one.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this Supra that I am moving along and man does it sound great. I can’t imagine anything sounding better but I keep getting told the Black Beauty is the pimp of metal snares so I’m going to find out.

Attachments

mrmike

Reaction score
I have this Supra that I am moving along and man does it sound great. I can’t imagine anything sounding better but I keep getting told the Black Beauty is the pimp of metal snares so I’m going to find out.
That’s a chrome over brass Supra which is closer to a black beauty than the more common aluminum Supra. It does sound slightly different than a black beauty but the only difference is the chrome instead of black nickel. The COB is one drum I wish I never sold. Personally I think you need an aluminum Supra after this

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s a newer one based on lug gaskets, no muffler, and the newest throw/butt

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would be great if you could make a comparison soundfile/video. Congrats on the BB, but with the same heads, hoops and tuning, I think he difference will be marginal.

Latest posts