Black Beauty snare drums

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Just recently sold my Acrolite and some other gear to purchase the 6.5 hammered black beauty. For me, the sensitivity was unrivalled compared to many other snares I tried, regardless of the tuning. There's a lot of body to the sound regardless of tuning, and the drum doesn't choke out and retains warmth and fatness regardless of (high) tuning. Rimshots have a very pleasing crack and ring, and there's something about the shell that makes it very resonant with very pleasing overtones. I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's nickel over brass, or that it's spun and seamless, but the shell just sings in a way I haven't heard with other snares. This is now my only snare, but I'm confident it can do just about anything and do it well.

As for the mystique and mojo stuff, I'm not a covetous type and don't go for stuff solely on reputation or mystique. However, after trying many snares out in a local store, I just couldn't leave without this one. It was the archetypal snare, and just had something about it that the others lacked (including a nickel over brass DW). It left me feeling totally helpless, and glad that I had brought some other gear to trade in for it.

Try one (or a few) out in person if you can, I think, like me, you'll discover the magic pretty quickly.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
The best drum I EVER OWNED was a 6.5 SS Black Beauty with gold lugs I got from an ex Zildjian rep.
That drum had it all........
I don't have it anymore but it was sold to a forumite years ago.
I kick myself daily for that one.

KevinD

Reaction score
Used one on a session once but the song called for a detuned/muffled snare so I didn't really get to play it in its best light.

I will say the ones that I can recall seeing/hearing live & up close sounded good, producing a cool sounding "thwock" that sounded like a Supra but with some added character. (again tuning, heads etc. matter just as much as anything)

Does anyone know the shell thickness of the 70s versions compared to Monroe versions?
And with that, does anyone know what the thickness of the WorldMax Black Hawg shells are?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Danngggitt now I gotta buy one ....
Don't know if you've seen the thread on Ludwig B-Stock, but check for one of those for a bit of a price break.
Most of the flaws are fairly inconsequential and hard to even notice as reported in that thread.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't know if you've seen the thread on Ludwig B-Stock, but check for one of those for a bit of a price break.
Most of the flaws are fairly inconsequential and hard to even notice as reported in that thread.

I'm already working a trade deal with a drum shop on one .

Reactions: Hop