Black Dots revisited

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I decided to use the abundance of time I have these days to try out something new, or should I say old? Remo black dots top and bottom a’la Charlie and Tony. Great tone, attack, somewhat shorter note (which I like). Dig the looks also. I haven’t used black dots on toms since the 80’s. The ultimate test won’t happen until gigs start again but so far so good.

87EB147F-20BF-4B65-AC3C-4732E9BC7033.jpeg

78349EA5-3E5D-4ACA-9651-A1C782EFE530.jpeg

4FE7FA4A-10C1-49A0-80BF-2974E9C25AEF.jpeg

B4B30EA5-B600-4897-AB84-D0AAFBDBC3D9.jpeg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have to get used to seeing them on the bottom... I'm just accustomed to running a BD on the batter with a clear on the reso when I use them. But a side bonus is also getting to see those gorgeous interiors as well!!

I see your using the Yamaha EAD10, post us up a video of how it's working for you. I would assume for that size kit it's tracking everything pretty well?

bubo

Reaction score
I decided to use the abundance of time I have these days to try out something new, or should I say old? Remo black dots top and bottom a’la Charlie and Tony. Great tone, attack, somewhat shorter note (which I like). Dig the looks also. I haven’t used black dots on toms since the 80’s. The ultimate test won’t happen until gigs start again but so far so good.

View attachment 434612

View attachment 434613

View attachment 434614

View attachment 434615
Sounds please :)

We are only on social- not accoustical-distancing.

Interesting this is.
Got a full set of Black-Dots just a couple of weeks ago mainly to re-equip my Superstar Concert Toms, but got some more to put them on my floors as well.
Even more, now that i recently got my hand on a nos 20x18 floor that came with the original Tama labelled Remo Black-Dot/CS.

Haven´t got the possibilty to check them all out yet. :-(

18" at the left... looks quite small besides the 20" :eek:

As a sidenote, because this been mentioned in another thread recently: I ain´t a fan of that huge logos printed nowadays, as well.

IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have bought lots of black dots when i was younger and it wasn't even an question as to what type i would get. I remember the smell and look of installing new heads on all my drums. Sometimes, they even had Ludwig silver dots in stock... Bonus. Years later, i steered away from them to try everything else that was available because i was listening and playing many styles. Now i feel that i should re dress one of the kits with black dots top and bottom.

bubo

Reaction score
Sounds:

Recorded with Yamaha EAD10, no triggers, only mics and a very slight reverb. Note that the EAD is what it is, not the best sound in the world.

Thanks so much! :cheers:
Incredible sounding drums, whatever heads you might put on!

You also gave me some nice licks to practise. ;-)

Stay safe everyone!

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 434612

View attachment 434613

View attachment 434614

View attachment 434615
What is going on with that huge tom mount??

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Timely post, Halldorl! I recently watched a Carter McLean video of him playing Black Dot heads. I was impressed. Like you, I haven't used Black Dots since the '80s. May be time for a revisit.

Last edited:

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a little Police Fever a few years back and needed to put one on my bass drum. But I managed to recover from it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The dot is way too big and too stiff on the 26" bass head. It sounds like a stiff piece of cardboard. Not even a good cardboard box thump - it's all middy. They're my favorite head on toms though.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
After a little practice you can get tonal variations between 1) the outside edge of the dot and the clear 2) center on the dot .

Say a slow medium tempo parradiddle between these two areas can be a pleasant surprise .

Latest posts