Black Dots revisited

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use them on the bottom to fatten up the tone a bit. Used to use them as batters in the 70s, but then moved to 2-plys, which give me a deeper sound, which I prefer on toms - not a fan of high-pitched toms in most situations. However, I do like the sound on that video of the Ludwig Classic Maple with Black Dots.

2018-10-28-FallFest006.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

2019-04-07-Michaels8thAve001.JPG

tone-def

Reaction score
Lately I've been into these as well. I would love to put them on the bottom but I can't get over the inflated cost as compared to other clear and coated heads. Are the dots backed with gold leaf?!

Blisco

Reaction score
Black dots also sounded great on my old Keystone kit. I went top and bottom with them. The goal was to eliminate gels and muffling completely. They are so easy to tune and get great tone out of. I will agree that the dot enhances the mid tone but it's entirely agreeable.

I'll be due for a head change later this year and I haven't decided if I'll got with these or ColorTones. I want to see what the blue would be like on my SBP CM. I should check if they offer colored CS dot heads in that series. That would be an easy call.

Attachments

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used them for a short while. Once, another drummer did the soundcheck for my drums and I listened to the engineer out front. He dialed the toms in until they sounded like they had clear Emps on tops instead of CS...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those do sound good. I'll have to try them. They always struck me as heads that you have to really whack to get the right sound out of. Do you guys like the sound of them when played quietly?

dangermoney

Reaction score
I haven't used them since the 80's but you guys and gals are giving me the envie to put some black dot batters on my kit too ...