Black Dots

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I had them on my Vistalites a few years ago and they sounded amazing on those drums. I've been tempted to try them on my 3 ply Cortex set just to see what happens.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a seven-piece set in the late 1970s that came equipped with Remo CS (black dot) heads, and I fell in love with them. Up until that time, I'd never used anything except Remo coated Ambassadors, so the lovely "slap" and impact that the CSs brought out of the drums simply floored me.

A few years later I went to work at a music store, thus fulfilling a dream of mine. There, I had a chance to try out all the current drumhead lines offered by Remo and Evans. I realized that the sound that I found so interesting was the result of the heads being clear, not coated. The CS dot added the extra slap that I liked because the area covered by the dot became a two-ply sheet, with all the tonal personalities that that entails.

I still like CS heads, but prefer simple clear two-ply heads because they are able to produce the CS slap while dramatically enhancing the frequency spectrum of the head/shell combo. The CS sound is much more sharply focused, with over/undertones being attenuated by comparison to two-ply clear heads.

Nonetheless, you owe it to yourself to try the CS heads. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

GeeDeeEmm

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've had a few drums that I just couldn't get to sound "right"...floor toms in fact. Black dot head remedied that. Even just one on the reso made a big change.

dsop

Reaction score
I played Black Dots over Clear Ambassadors years ago, and they sounded pretty good (not my favorite sound by any means though). I was going through a Tony phase. Then about six years ago I decided to try again. I bought a full set of Black Dots for both top and bottom of all my toms. I started with the 12" and tried it out.
Y U C K!!!! Turned my USA Customs into cardboard boxes. I immediately returned all the heads. I may try again in the future, but it will be Clear Dots next time.

Tony's drums work with them because, 1. his smallest tom is 13", 2. they're cranked, and 3. he plays them loudly for the most part. Played quietly they don't cut it.

I also love Gary Husband's sound on the I.O.U. record, and he was using all Black Dots on that too.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of 12/13/16/22 for my Charlie Watts tribute kit which is almost done.......can't wait to try them out!
Wasn't there a recent thread that mentioned that Charlie's switched from Black Dots to something else?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. Me too - the 4-5X I've seen the Stones, it's always been the dots so I guess my tribute kit is based on the "old" CW kit, then!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I used them for a while on my 80's Classic Ludwig 6-plys. Regular Ambassadors weren't heavy enough to get a good sound out of those thick shells.

I saw a video of Max Roach playing my exact drum set, and he was using silver dots. They sounded great. So I slapped on some black dots. I loved those heads on those drums.

I only play jazz now, so I use regular coated heads. But for a rock or Latin gig, I'd switch back to black dots in a heartbeat. They're really lively heads with tremendous attack.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have black dots on my Yamaha Stage Custom kit. These are the ticket, if you want to use a single ply head, but need some added durability.