Black or black?

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking for your opinion please
Maker not important, but would a black shell, black hardware, hoops, throw, rods, etc be something that would make you look twice on a snare drum?
Maybe even black batter head??

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, JMO - I've seen similar setups and meh...

rstange1

Reaction score
I might look twice, but more so out of curiosity than as a potential buyer.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maker not important, but would a black shell, black hardware, hoops, throw, rods, etc be something that would make you look twice on a snare drum?
No. Only in that it'd remind me. Black on a drum I find deflating. Depressing.
That's me my opinion. Don't like the color on drums. Like looking into a Black Hole..Nothingness

See it? or see past it...

too dead for me. I own one Black snare drum. Just doesn't lighten brighten up a surrounding.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
20200422_105700.jpg

The whole kit is black.
I bought it for a song and its not my cuppa in looks but they sound incredible, thin 100%birch shells,Ludwig Element Icon kit.
Honestly,no it doesnt visually get my attention.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a black hardware on chrome shell project myself. Not so much total black for me as well.
IMG_20180808_203548781.jpg

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the custom-car world, black-on-black cars (usually without emblems) are referred to as "murdered out." I usually love it.
porsche.jpg

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the custom-car world, black-on-black cars (usually without emblems) are referred to as "murdered out."
Yeah, that's a popular look on cars these days, although it's not for me. It looks sinister, mean and downright unsociable, which is also popular these days; unfortunately!

Not for me.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It all depends on how it’s done. Black nickel over a black stain and a gold badge would be sharp. Opaque black shell with powdered black hardware, blech.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original N&C Alloy Classics had that look. Great snare, they've diversified since.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you are going to paint the inside of the drum black as well correct? Just in case somebody happens to look at it from the underside.

I mean, realistically, very few of our audience actually see the snare drum. I would never want a snare that is black on black on black with a touch of black.

It’s stealth and tactical all right. It’s also kind of boring. Sooner or later during load out you’re going to take it off its stand, set it on stage in the dark, forget to pack it, and leave it at the club

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think of back in the 80s with black Pinstripes, or even black Evans Hydraulic heads. We could not get the kit black enough. One guy I knew had access to an auto body shop and had black Candy paint sprayed over his chrome hardware. That looked pretty cool.