Black or black?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like an organic look - eg. wood finishes and Maple hoops. That's just me. If you like all black or all pink, that's your choice and who am I to criticize just as I would hope you would not criticize my preference......

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's all taste/association, but all black has always been too "I'm tough stuff" for me. There's something about an all black look on anything that looks strange and unbalanced. That could go from all black Adidas Superstars, to guitars, to motorcycles, to snare drums. I feel like anyone can pull anything off so long as they're comfortable with it.
In goalie gear, all black helps the referee not find the puck and therefore gets play to stop quicker. There are utilitarian uses for color, as well. I compromise by having the back of my pads black and wear black socks so nobody pokes for the puck between my knees.

Black cars actually need to have sublimely smooth and straight body work, unless it’s flat black. There were cars from the 60s that the VIN indicated that they were destined to be black because they had a good day at the factory!

I do understand what you’re saying as some guys with the jacked up all black truck with loud exhaust think they are “bad”. Whoop dee doo!

Tarkus

Reaction score
Nobody mentions, that black stuff only looks nice, when clean. And a minute after cleaning, it will look dusty again.

I remember a workshop of Manni von Bohr (German Krautrock legend) featuring an all-black Sonor signature, giantic drum kit specially made for him more than 30 years ago. The very first I saw in 'all-black' (even before Steve Gadd's kits). His drum tech was constantly cleaning the drums, constantly. And a second later, the dust was glowing again in bright lights of the stage.

Personally, I had a black drum kit and a black car, long ago. Never ever again...

But I have to admit, it looks cool. Designers say: "Black makes things look smaller". Have a look, it's true.

senecaty

Reaction score
I don’t mind the look of black on black, though they don’t look the best under stage lights IMO. I no longer have any kits with black hardware but I do own a few snares that do. The contrast of black hardware often looks great but I do find that black (or brass or any coating that isn’t chrome) tends to chip...and that drives me nuts!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for your opinion please
Maker not important, but would a black shell, black hardware, hoops, throw, rods, etc be something that would make you look twice on a snare drum?
Maybe even black batter head??
No.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I like the black nickel hardware on black shells, since it shines like regular chrome.
I haven't liked the glossy powdercoated looking hardware.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As owr said, it looks pretty good on this drum.

View attachment 487673

I was going to pop in with my Alloy Classic too. I don't love the look, but it sounds great.

It's actually really funny. I have two kits and two main snare drums and I don't like the look of any of them. The Alloy Classic is all blacked out, my N&C kit is purple with black hardware, and my Sonor kit is a figured red burl that looks like furniture to me. They sound good though, and that's what matters.

alan818

Reaction score
Maker not important, but would a black shell, black hardware, hoops, throw, rods, etc be something that would make you look twice on a snare drum?
I have a Pearl Jordison with maple hoops with additional hand painted design by a unknown person that resided in Louisiana. The hand-painted design is just so-so.The hoops are really beat-up and someone wrote "mahoney" with back sharpie on the resonant side hoop. Its loud and has mojo.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
The problem with going all black is that you have to make sure EVERYTHING is black, and the aluminum collars on the drum heads stand out, especially on bass drums.

If that can be solved, then I am on board with the look.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a short while, I had a PDP Concept Maple in black pearl with black hardware. I didnt care for the overall look:

I have a Concept Birch kit as well, so I decided to try out the Birch's chrome hardware on the black shells:

I think it looks better. Of course, I had to try the black hardware on the Concept Birch shell:

I thought it looked pretty good.

fusseltier

Reaction score
Actually, I thought the nickel finish looked best, but its your opinion and what you think and like matters most.
I had hoops and hardware over the years of many different colors and went back to chrome finish.
You have to decide what you like and what looks good with the color or finish of your drums but i always thought the nickel was nice with the flat or matte than chrome or black.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not a fan. To me, it looks like it should belong to a drummer in a death metal band or sth. I like black drums with shiny chrome and a gold badge. Think Charlie Watts’ Gretsch kit he uses for jazz.