Black Panther finish....what is it?

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Looking to make a canister to match a set.
Anyone know the specifics about this wrap?
Where to get some?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The 70's Ludwig wrap? I have heard it's closest match is what Chrysler used for convertible tops. There use to be a vinyl place online that had a sample card. I had a double bass kit that I shouldn't have sold. The shells were nearly perfect. Jerry Jenkins said once that they were probably Ludwig's best because the thin wrap could not cover any blemish like a regular wrap could.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Levant/bronco tolex is the closest thing I've found to the original black panther finish, but the grain "pebbles" are a bit smaller in the black panther finish.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rewrapped a DW kit and snare in "black panther" which was actually Con-tact paper - maybe 3-4 years ago. Bought at Home Depot for $10, it did the whole 12/14/18/snare and has its own adhesive. I applied right over the old finish and it was super easy (and is removeable). The older style "wrap" was a DEAD match for black panther. I just did a micro bop Ludwig kit and was going to do that again and was very disappointed that the new Con-tact paper, while still looks like simulated leather like BP, is much less pronounced and less authentic looking than the prior year's model. Thus, I balked on it.

I'd get a roll from H.D. and just wrap your canister. Will be cheap, easy and you should have plenty left to redo once it gets scratched up beyond pretty.

Redfern

Reaction score
Looking to make a canister to match a set.
Anyone know the specifics about this wrap?
Where to get some?
Hang on, you mean you don’t wanna shell out $1000 for the DW canister??? I mean it’s adjustable and all...Ahahaha

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
There is a guy named Gary Bender that has lots of great Ludwig sets that he sells and I saw that he found a very close match to the original stuff at a Joanne fabric. You might want to try there.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I just checked online and this could be it...