Black Panther with mod finish under

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been around in a while but thought you all would enjoy this. So weird, I was telling the family about how Ludwig had some of the mod finish shells left over that they covered with black panther wrap and sold. Well wouldn't you know next day I did an ebay search (hadn't done one in months) and this popped up and I bought it.
Should be fun. Looks like some extra holes but what the heck. I know some of you have some experience with removing the black panther and not damaging the wrap under so any guidance would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mark

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-3-pc-VINTAGE-LUDWIG-BLACK-PANTHER-Mod-Orange-Drum-Set-kit-22-13-16/153602888267?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where do you see the mod orange? Picture #5 looks like there's wood under the wrap.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where do you see the mod orange? Picture #5 looks like there's wood under the wrap.
That would be a bummer! It seems like it’s there. Not a big sample but seller assured me it’s under all the drums.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s an amazing deal.
There have been discussions here as to whether they’re more rare/desirable in their current state.

Discuss.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember the citrus mod under panther not that long ago. Cool find!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of black panther applied over mod orange. Generally if there is wrap underneath it will be Citrus Mod. I guess anything is possible, hard to tell anything from the tiny sliver peeking through the wrap that they show in the picture but citrus mod is rare while mod orange isn't particularly hard to find ( M.O. is probably more common than Black Panther)..

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I enlarged the pic and viewed it on my 26" computer screen. I think it looks like citrus mod to me.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
I enlarged the pic and viewed it on my 26" computer screen. I think it looks like citrus mod to me.
Same thing crossed my mind. If so that would be awesome! Ill keep y'all posted when they arrive. I haven't done a drum project in a while so pretty excited about it.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was going to buy this kit, because to me it looked like Citrus Mod under the black wrap. You beat me to it.
However, I read a lot of reviews on DFO and concluded it wasn't an easy do-it-myself strip job, so I hesitated to buy it.
I'll be willing to bet it's Citrus and not Mod Orange.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience stripping this kit.
Nice buy!

Stretch

Reaction score
Various wraps have been found under panther. Citrus mod, psych red and mod orange mostly, but white pearl also known to be under panther wrap.
Removing the panther wrap can be easy or very tough or somewhere in between.
The removal process can be very difficult.
You don't want to pull up the wrap underneath which is often not glued too well after 45-50 years.
Sometimes remaining glue must be removed with a Q-tip and Goo Gone, a painstakingly slow process.
A few years ago I purchased some panther drums with citrus mod underneath.
I sent two drums to Jack Lawton for peeling and restoring. The two drums took two years and the cost was not cheap! If I had to do it over again I would have left the panther wrap on the drums.......

skywkr2

Reaction score
Maybe strip them on a diagonal and leave 1/2 panther and 1/2 citrus; preserving both nd neither at the same time- could look cool

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That wood in that sliver is either too coincidentally psychedelic looking green, red, and brown......or is, in fact, the real deal........

I agree - as much as I like to restore drums (mostly bad condition to good +, or modding rewrapped/stripped drums), those look very nice as is and I would not disturb them.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drums came today. Nicely packaged and..........bingo, Citrus on all 3 drums! Super excited! I will be removing the panther wrap. Any one have any suggestions on how to do it? I remember removing an old wrap years ago with a slot cut in a pvc pipe and then reverse rolling the wrap up in it.

Attachments

Latest posts