Black Panther with mod finish under

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drums came today. Nicely packaged and..........bingo, Citrus on all 3 drums! Super excited! I will be removing the panther wrap. Any one have any suggestions on how to do it? I remember removing an old wrap years ago with a slot cut in a pvc pipe and then reverse rolling the wrap up in it.
First, congrats on this great score! The Citrus Mod is most likely in pristine condition. Give Jack Lawton a call for some advice on how to proceed with the wrap removal. Good luck!!

-Mark

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice find! I personally have never seen anything but citrus mod under black panther but as Bun E mentioned, there were other colors. Anything is possible I suppose and I certainly love to proven wrong. I was almost positive that Ludwig only covered citrus with black panther but not too long ago someone posted a 14x14 standard drum with an astro finish that was citrus underneath. I couldn't believe it. Don't everyone go and trash all those astro finished standards at once now! lol.

I am in the process of ordering some bum wrap citrus mod inlay strips for a citrus project I have. You will need those too to make your set look original. You might even be able to use the bumwrap to cover that ceneter hole and the right side rail holes if desired. If it was me I would probably want to bring the set back to having it's original rail set up. I love rails though so that's me.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I had a 12/13/16/22 set that I bought in 2014 for $400. Stripped em to citrus and sold them (with some work left to be done, from what I remember). It would have been a great deal on even a beat up 3ply kit in a common color, and these sounded GREAT.

Man... there's a lot of stuff I remember super clearly, but I've sucessfully blocked that project from memory. It was a bear. I remember trying all sorts of strippers trying to find something that would remove the contact cement but not damage the wrap, and it was HARD. You may wind up having to polish the end results out with Novus or Meguirs PlastX if it looses its sheen.

I remember that one drum and part of a second came clean easy. Most of the cement stayed on the Panther. The others: oy vey, oy vey.

It's a hell of a project, but can have great results. And the awesome thing is that the citrus will be colorful and bright, never having been exposed to light. If I'd kept them, I'd have "waxed" them with an anti-UV boat coating to help keep them bright.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 12/13/16/22 set that I bought in 2014 for $400. Stripped em to citrus and sold them (with some work left to be done, from what I remember). It would have been a great deal on even a beat up 3ply kit in a common color, and these sounded GREAT.

Man... there's a lot of stuff I remember super clearly, but I've sucessfully blocked that project from memory. It was a bear. I remember trying all sorts of strippers trying to find something that would remove the contact cement but not damage the wrap, and it was HARD. You may wind up having to polish the end results out with Novus or Meguirs PlastX if it looses its sheen.

I remember that one drum and part of a second came clean easy. Most of the cement stayed on the Panther. The others: oy vey, oy vey.

It's a hell of a project, but can have great results. And the awesome thing is that the citrus will be colorful and bright, never having been exposed to light. If I'd kept them, I'd have "waxed" them with an anti-UV boat coating to help keep them bright.
Great idea with the anti uv coating! It is a bitch but im up for it.....i'm gonna post a pict now of first 30 mins try and suggestion from forum member who did it a couple of years ago.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Nice find! I personally have never seen anything but citrus mod under black panther but as Bun E mentioned, there were other colors. Anything is possible I suppose and I certainly love to proven wrong. I was almost positive that Ludwig only covered citrus with black panther but not too long ago someone posted a 14x14 standard drum with an astro finish that was citrus underneath. I couldn't believe it. Don't everyone go and trash all those astro finished standards at once now! lol.

I am in the process of ordering some bum wrap citrus mod inlay strips for a citrus project I have. You will need those too to make your set look original. You might even be able to use the bumwrap to cover that ceneter hole and the right side rail holes if desired. If it was me I would probably want to bring the set back to having it's original rail set up. I love rails though so that's me.
Love them rail mounts also!

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love them rail mounts also!

see pict what do you think was there? What is bum wrap?

Attachments

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Bumwraps is a company that makes drum wraps for drums. People decide to rewrap drums with damaged original wrap can choose different colour wraps. In your case, Bumwraps may make the citrus mod that you can buy and instally for your bass drum hoop inlays

When you go to the website above, go to the top of the page and click on "Customer pictures" and you will get the idea

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Here is 30 mins in. heat gun and pulling with some great suggestions from a forum member to use lacquer thinner for glue removal and neutralize with vinegar and water and buff with novus. I can see why they used the panther its thin, tough but flexible.
Looks great!

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
What are the 2 somewhat oval pieces of metal with bolts at each endon the bass drum? These are found on either side of the tom mount

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
What are the 2 somewhat oval pieces of metal with bolts at each endon the bass drum? These are found on either side of the tom mount
To me, they look like the plates that go between a rail mount and the shell. It appears that the drum had two rail mounts at one time. They utilized two of the center hole mounts from what I can tell.