Black Panther with mod finish under

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just worry about getting the black off for now. Forget about the rest of it or the glue. Be careful and good luck..looks great!

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Here is 30 mins in. heat gun and pulling with some great suggestions from a forum member to use lacquer thinner for glue removal and neutralize with vinegar and water and buff with novus. I can see why they used the panther its thin, tough but flexible.
Holly cow! Look at what has been hidden for all of these years!

Kind of like seeing for the first time the tomboy next door all done up for homecoming!

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
To me, they look like the plates that go between a rail mount and the shell. It appears that the drum had two rail mounts at one time. They utilized two of the center hole mounts from what I can tell.
I see what you mean, Mike. I wonder when the rest of the black panther wrap is removed, we may see the other rail holes or ???

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
To me, they look like the plates that go between a rail mount and the shell. It appears that the drum had two rail mounts at one time. They utilized two of the center hole mounts from what I can tell.
Also I guess, the dual tom holder was added later or was the set original a rail mount 4 piece with 1 rack tom and the dual tom holder was added later?

lcondo123

Reaction score
God, that kit is going to look brand new. That citrus mod wrap hasn't seen the light of day in 50 years. You have an incredible find on your hands. Keep up the good work.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like how you tackled the bass drum first. That is always the hardest, you get thru that and the rest seem easy.
Good Luck

Wayne

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Archt probably holed up in his shop only coming out for food and water , we’ll see him in a day or so everything all finished up.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't want to knock too hard what's obviously an awesome find, but how dare someone drill that drum for a center mount. I get it if you're a lefty and want to move the rail so you add a few small holes, but adding a center mount to any drum with a rail... I cannot abide. And then it turns out to be a freaking citrus mod... I wonder if they had any idea there was something odd about their drums after they inspected their handy work.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I don't want to knock too hard what's obviously an awesome find, but how dare someone drill that drum for a center mount. I get it if you're a lefty and want to move the rail so you add a few small holes, but adding a center mount to any drum with a rail... I cannot abide. And then it turns out to be a freaking citrus mod... I wonder if they had any idea there was something odd about their drums after they inspected their handy work.

I agree. I would not be surprised if the set originally came with double rails. It's not common but it's not unheard of either. I could deal with the holes for the the right side rail but the center post mount is just heartbreaking. I would seriously plug that up and add a piece of bumwrap in there to try and make it look better. Their scan looks incredible. Some of that will be need to do the hoops anyway.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. I would not be surprised if the set originally came with double rails. It's not common but it's not unheard of either. I could deal with the holes for the the right side rail but the center post mount is just heartbreaking. I would seriously plug that up and add a piece of bumwrap in there to try and make it look better. Their scan looks incredible. Some of that will be need to do the hoops anyway.
Drilling a Ludwig set for a double mount was super common in the early '70s. Most '60s sets had the rail and in the '70s everyone wanted a double tom setup. Nobody back then was thinking that drilling for a double mount was anything but an improvement. It wasn't really until the early '90s when anyone gave a hoot about extra holes on a drum.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here are some more shots. Bass drum skinned and two comparison picts of wrap with glue on it and the underside factory fresh.
I used a heat gun set on 250 degrees making aprox 8 passes (back and forth = 1) with a wide flange tip and then rolled the panther in a broomstick dowel. and pulled. I could get about 3-4 " off this way each time. The bass drum was wrapped in 2 pieces one came completely off without any help.

Attachments

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
What are the 2 somewhat oval pieces of metal with bolts at each endon the bass drum? These are found on either side of the tom mount
They are plates that covers holes from what appears to be, as some others have said a double rail mount before the post mount was put on. There is one in front too, not sure what that was for.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe your are correct Mike. 8 holes for a dbl. rail mount with 2 holes used for the post mount.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Very cool! what is that piece of citrus mod inside the bass drum? Is it wrap that came off and needs to be re-glued? Clearly Ludwig had the shells pre-made up in citrus and the decision to cover over was likely decided on when they realized the color was not selling. These are going to look great!

Is your set date stamped? I'm just curious as it is my belief that this started happening around mid 1970. The set I just picked up is date stamped Feb 9-10 1971.

Reactions: JDA

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool! what is that piece of citrus mod inside the bass drum? Is it wrap that came off and needs to be re-glued? Clearly Ludwig had the shells pre-made up in citrus and the decision to cover over was likely decided on when they realized the color was not selling. These are going to look great!

Is your set date stamped? I'm just curious as it is my belief that this started happening around mid 1970. The set I just picked up is date stamped Feb 9-10 1971.
Paper tags in Bass and Floor Tom no stamp in 12" Tom
I am assuming these are July 14 1972?

Attachments

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you removing the badges or exacto-ing around them?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paper tags in Bass and Floor Tom no stamp in 12" Tom
I am assuming these are July 14 1972?
It would be a safe assumption that the date code means July 14 1972, but, unfortunately, no. There seems to be no real explanation for these labels. Even the latest dating guide, from Richard E. Gier, is not able to offer a definitive answer to these bizarre date codes! However, we do know that they were used from around 1971-1972. But, I digress! This takes NOTHING away from your Citrus Mod kit!

-Mark

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would be a safe assumption that the date code means July 14 1972, but, unfortunately, no. There seems to be no real explanation for these labels. Even the latest dating guide, from Richard E. Gier, is not able to offer a definitive answer to these bizarre date codes! However, we do know that they were used from around 1971-1972. But, I digress! This takes NOTHING away from your Citrus Mod kit!

-Mark
My theory is those aren't even date codes but rather some other ID or inspection/production number that just happened to get stamped in the no longer used date area of the stickers they had in stock. This is based on the fact that the codes are apparently indecipherable as to being a date and why would Ludwig go to all the trouble of developing such an uncrackable code in the first place? It's just a date, why conceal it so completely. Obviously there was some meaning or purpose to the number but just because it ended up there on the sticker doesn't automatically mean it must be a date.

And if there were date stamps would they be for the day the drum was wrapped in CM or the day it was rewrapped in BP (or the day the hardware was put on and the drum finished off) ?

Latest posts