Black Panther with mod finish under

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would be a safe assumption that the date code means July 14 1972, but, unfortunately, no. There seems to be no real explanation for these labels. Even the latest dating guide, from Richard E. Gier, is not able to offer a definitive answer to these bizarre date codes! However, we do know that they were used from around 1971-1971. But, I digress! This takes NOTHING away from your Citrus Mod kit!

-Mark
That is too funny! Leave it to Ludwig. Plus the model number scribble
Are you removing the badges or exacto-ing around them?
I am going to exacto around them leaving a 1/4" shadow line of Panther on 2 sides as a remnant.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
They are plates that covers holes from what appears to be, as some others have said a double rail mount before the post mount was put on. There is one in front too, not sure what that was for.
Thanks for the reply!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
My theory is those aren't even date codes but rather some other ID or inspection/production number that just happened to get stamped in the no longer used date area of the stickers they had in stock. This is based on the fact that the codes are apparently indecipherable as to being a date and why would Ludwig go to all the trouble of developing such an uncrackable code in the first place? It's just a date, why conceal it so completely. Obviously there was some meaning or purpose to the number but just because it ended up there on the sticker doesn't automatically mean it must be a date.

And if there were date stamps would they be for the day the drum was wrapped in CM or the day it was rewrapped in BP (or the day the hardware was put on and the drum finished off) ?

People will have different answers for this but I am of the belief that the date was added when the hardware was being put on. I have a pic somewhere from inside the factory from 1966 where hardware is being put on at a station and I could certainly see them stamping the date at the same time or just before heads were added.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking (take your time) forward to seeing..resolves resolvents....the result!

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My goodness, those are going to be gorgeous.
Seems that the mod finished was preserved and protected pretty well under there!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Amazing nobody wanted it back then now everybody wants it! Honestly I never new those psych finishes existed until I started seriously collecting drums 20 yrs ago.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
The HH-66 Thinner I posted before is working out well. Below are two photos of about 1/2 hr work trying it on a larger area. It appears that Ludwig used a different glue for the seams then the rubber contact cement for the panther wrap. The seam glue residue can be seen in one of the photos and after removal in the other. A little easier to get off but look at the reaction it had to the green color on the plastic wrap. It turned it blue. Just on the side it was in contact with. If I flip the wrap over the same blue areas are green.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts