Blacking out hardware without powder coating?

nmosko

Reaction score
Is this possible? The reason I’m asking is that I really don’t have any powder-coating places around. I’d like to black out my lungs and hoops though. Wondering if anyone has any advice on how this could be done. All the best and thanks!!

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing will hold up as well as pc, cerakote, etc. Nmosko, try calling around to gun stores or automotive paint shops. They might know of someone in your area.

nmosko

Reaction score
Black Nickle is the only other black finish that will hold up.

A quick google search for powder coating in Virginia turned up this.

http://www.customcoaters.com/virginia/

Looks like there is a town called Radford that has someone who does powder coating. It looks pretty close to Bluefield.
thanks man! I never saw one in Radford. That’s a little over an hour. I’ll definitely look into that. The closest I found was in Roanoke (2 hr.)

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Glad to help. As far as blacking out hoops, You may want to consider just buying ones that are already black. It may be cheaper. They have some lugs available in black so depending on what brand your drums are you may be able to buy black lugs and save some hassle.

Drumfactorydirect.com has lots of options and is a great place to deal with.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Black Nickle is the only other black finish that will hold up.
Last time I looked into BNC it was $$ and you gotta go thick for durability. You really have to find a experienced shop. It's easy to get deposits and a bad coat job. Chrome is your best bet.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did it. So far it's holding up pretty good. It's almost been a year. The trick was 1. You must grind the chrome down with sand paper (I used my dremel tool with the bigger grit sand wheel.) 2. Then spray it with a self emulsifing primer base coat. 3. Then at least 2 coats of color and 3 clear. Let it dry real well in between coats. That's the other trick, being patient. I would do a coat before I went to work and then one when I got home until the pieces were done. So 8-10 hrs between coats.

Good Luck!