Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I liked 2

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Your overplaying is tacky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

beatsmith8

Reaction score
I bought a whole bunch of Istanbul cymbals on amazon blowout pricing. Tried to set up somewhat equivalent setups between my existing Paiste and the new Mehmet. 15" hats for both, 2x18" crashes for both, a 19" crash in Ist setup vs 20" crash in paiste, and similar weight rides (21" in paiste vs 22" in Istanbul).

Listen and let me know which you prefer. Bonus points for picking the brand. (Note that I didn't spend much time mixing this with zero fader rides, OH channel is probably 3db hot and don't have much verb on here other than a touch of waves abbey road.)

I thought I would go one way but I think I may prefer the other on reflection. Going to do a follow-up with music backing. Don't troll me for apples vs oranges, this is just for fun!

Recording 1 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/09w9ah7il6gts2r/drums1mp3.mp3?dl=0

Recording 2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmgqxdwcyi994ub/drums2mp3.mp3?dl=0

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I expected to hear a difference between the Paistes and the Istanbul Mehmets. I listened to set 1 and thought "that has to be the Paiste set because of the crash sounds". Then I listened to set 2 and thought "that has to be the Paiste set because of the crash sounds". :dontknow: To me the two sets sound interchangeable and that's certainly not what I expected given my (limited) experience with Istanbul Mehmet vs Paiste. It also leaves me no suitable choice in the poll. :crybaby:But I do love blind listening tests, so that's for letting me play.

beatsmith8

Reaction score
That was my reaction. Both sound smooth, which is partly because of the tube pres and Beyer mc930 OH mics which are smooth sounding in the high end, but partly also because both sets of cymbals are well made and sound great. I’ll identify which is which after a couple other folks weigh in. Thanks for playing.

I expected to hear a difference between the Paistes and the Istanbul Mehmets. I listened to set 1 and thought "that has to be the Paiste set because of the crash sounds". Then I listened to set 2 and thought "that has to be the Paiste set because of the crash sounds". :dontknow: To me the two sets sound interchangeable and that's certainly not what I expected given my (limited) experience with Istanbul Mehmet vs Paiste. It also leaves me no suitable choice in the poll. :crybaby:But I do love blind listening tests, so that's for letting me play.

andlours

Reaction score
I'm convinced the second set is the Paistes. I could be completely wrong, but that's what the hats and crashes sound like to me. Then again, I don't really have any familiarity with either brand.

johnjssmith

Reaction score
I like the first one better, and I think set 1 is Istanbul, set 2 is Paiste.
Set 2's ride sounds much more glassy and a bit drier, and the crashes seem to be faster, to produce more high freq overtones and less low freq ones.
My guess is based on the assumption that you're using Istanbul heritage's and Paiste sig's, as my guess would be reversed if I knew you were using Istanbul modern's and Paiste masters'.

Also, nice sounding kick!
I'll be eagerly waiting for the results.
---
Luca

beatsmith8

Reaction score
The cymbals from both companies are from various lines. The paiste include 2 masters crashes and a sig mellow Crash, dark energy ride, and 602 modern essentials hats. The Istanbuls include 1 trad Crash, one radiant sweet Crash, one origin 19” Crash, and mehmet onurhan ride.

Thanks re kick. Inner mic is beta 91, outer mic is Cad m179 in short “tunnel” (acrylic floor tom shell). Replaced the Yamaha subkick with the m179 and prefer it so far.

It’s tough to get a decent sound out of a small square room. I consider it a challenge....

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They sounds great together IMO. To me, Paiste and Mehmet are great together. Why pick one?

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
I'm almost cretin that the 2nd is Paiste. They sound more to my liking. The 1st sounds very very washy. I think if the Paiste's where Dark Energy they would have been much more comparable in sound. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I listened to both clips several times trying to decide which recording was what manufacturer... I'm thinking the second clip was Paiste like some of the other forum members have decided.

Also, like some have expressed above, both cymbal sets sound really good in the clips and to me there is no one set that stands above the other.
To me, both sounded nice and I didn't hear any GCL (garbage can lids) in the bunch. You may need to add a choice to the poll: I liked both.

So IMHO the only clear cut winner is you for owing nice instruments!

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I liked the first better. I have no real experience playing either brand other than in store so it’d be a coin toss what they are but I’m interested in finding out!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm also gong with the first set being the Istanbul, as for a vote...thats tough, they both sound great but I lean on the slightly washer Mehmets (if that is indeed the first option). The second set makes me think Paiste as they are very Clean, focused and "pre EQ'd" which I would dig in a rock setting but for about everything else I would go with the first set (again, just my preferences) but man, they both sound great. And super nice playing and recording as well.

beatsmith8

Reaction score
People are mostly correct, recording 1 is Mehmet and recording 2 is Paiste. Both sets sound great and I would probably eq them differently. I got the Mehmets for super cheap on amazon and already sold my 602 hats, dark energy ride, and 16” masters Crash. Basically doubled the number of cymbals for the same price.

I ended up with a bunch of additional Mehmet rides and crashes - some I like some I sent back. Really love the 61st anniversary ride in 22”. Just bought a set of those hats on eBay at discount.

Thanks for the nice comments on the sound. It’s taken a while, but I’ve finally gotten a decent drum sound out of a small, square room (admittedly after buying some nice equipment). If anyone wants to discuss any of that, I’m happy to tell you what changes made the most impact. Biggest impact are sebatron preamps and beyer mc930 overheads. Not cheap but turn cymbals into butter.

Cheers!

I'm also gong with the first set being the Istanbul, as for a vote...thats tough, they both sound great but I lean on the slightly washer Mehmets (if that is indeed the first option). The second set makes me think Paiste as they are very Clean, focused and "pre EQ'd" which I would dig in a rock setting but for about everything else I would go with the first set (again, just my preferences) but man, they both sound great. And super nice playing and recording as well.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice, its such a wonderful feeling to have a new cymbal rig come together. Great work on the recording as well, it really is outstanding, your efforts have more than paid off.

beatsmith8

Reaction score
Ended up with mostly a Mehmet rig, but kept some paiste splashes and hats. Put together a quick recording today while wife was away (Andre Forbes drumless track I first heard today).

Pretty happy with the sound.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I felt 1 was Mehmet from hearing pitch. Most Paiste's are usually brighter with higher pitches. That's one of the reasons I like Mehmet in general. Deep baby, ride it low! :)