Blindfold test #3

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like these "Blindfold" tests. We get to listen with our ears rather than our eyes. I know that for some of us (myself included), a little drum OCD can override listening with our ears.
Cool

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 22".
But liked all of them
But 22" no rivets was first tune..first solo...

Its so fun to play. Great feel.
Like a cross between old k and old A. Wobbles like crazy.

Im making video in a few minutes

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice video! We should make this a sticky for how a cymbal video should be.

For the past few weeks I have been probably obsessing to learn exactly what things affect what when it comes to cymbals. To model a cymbal is very complicated as there are a lot of moving parts. Anyway I have watched a lot of well meaning but pointless cymbal videos. It appears a lot of us struggle to find cymbals that fulfill that sound we hear in our heads and have ended up buying cymbals that didn’t quite satisfy. So let me breakdown what I like about this one.

First and foremost people, you can‘t use your iPhone to record a video of your cymbal. The AGC in the phones audio section renders it useless as it turns up the level after each strike. AGC is great for recording your uncle Bob at a party but it absolutely lies about how a cymbal actually sounds. You used a Zoom here which does an excellent job of capturing the audio. And you didn’t bury the cymbal in the mix with the music and the drums.

Secondly, you play the cymbal the way I imagine most of us play a cymbal. I see so many videos where they start with two handed rolls and (especially with rides) crash the cymbal with every other stroke. That and they play the bell way too much. If it’s a ride cymbal then play ride patterns please. One of the things that doesn’t get addressed when a cymbal is played all over the place is the “roar” that builds up when a cymbal is played straight. To me that is a critical factor in selecting a cymbal and I really wanna hear that. I also like that fact that I can see your hand grip as that makes a bit difference in the tone of a cymbal.

My only criticism is i wish you would have also played a ride pattern a bit higher on the bow in addition so I could descern the difference in tone from the tone you get when played a bit further down.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why do I like this cymbal so much.
Ive owned literally hundreds..

This set is speaking to me....

Ill do video of whole set...and play on different parts of each cymbal