Blink 182 - "Nine" - Travis Barker

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I recently picked up the newest CD "Nine" by Blink 182 from our wonderful local library.

While I'm not really a fan of Blink 182's style of music, I enjoyed this CD, and find them to be a talented group.

I find that Travis Barker creates groovy parts for each song. I also think that he is quite a talented musician.

Now, I remember a bunch of members raggin' on Travis and/or Blink 182.

What are your complaints, or accolades, about Travis?

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I love Travis Barker, but I'm familiar with the complaints people will voice on this forum:

1. Sold 50 million albums before Boomers heard of him.

2. Speed and unexpected beats hard for cover band drummers to emulate.

3. Doesn't play Ludwig or Gretsch (he has a signature Orange County Drum Kit).

4. He would stick out too much at a wedding gig.

5. Helped popularize the beer-can bass drum.

6. Tired of the question, 'Is He Better Than Tommy Lee?' Because he 's much better.

7. May not be able to swing a big band.

8. Tom placement too low.

9. Born in '75, not 75 years old.

10. Has a drum transcription books/CDs that young drummers actually want to buy.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
My guess is that one of the issues people have with Travis Barker is that he was mentioned in almost every comment section of drum videos / articles for years. Lots of the "kids" from those days (my generation) might have considered him the best. He is what they grew up on--kind of like nobody cooks dish xyz better than my mom. Whenever "the greatest" gets used, a lot of negativity will be elicited. Sticking with lists, here is what immediately pops into my head when I think of Barker:

1. He brought a fresh approach to a "punk" band when he joined Blink 182.
2. He has has a recognizable sound--a signature almost.
3. He likely inspired many kids to pick up drumsticks.
4. He crosses many genres and seems to be accepted in many different circles.
5. He does things I can't do.

#2 is really the pinnacle to me. Jimmy Chamberlin is my all-time favorite drummer, and all it takes is hearing one measure to know when he is at the throne.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not speaking directly about Travis ... just a general statement about artists that are obviously talented ... but have more than a small group that dislike them with extreme prejudice.

What I've learned over the years ...

Talent and/or creativity can easily be overcome with a ridiculous ego and a bad attitude.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grew up idolizing Travis, he was my favorite drummer for a long time, but as I've gotten older I don't like him quite as much. He's a hell of a player and showman, there's no doubting that, but the dude just shreds over EVERYTHING. There's not a lot of room to breathe in his playing.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I grew up idolizing Travis, he was my favorite drummer for a long time, but as I've gotten older I don't like him quite as much. He's a hell of a player and showman, there's no doubting that, but the dude just shreds over EVERYTHING. There's not a lot of room to breathe in his playing.
I agree, Travis is a busy drummer. However, I think the style he plays fits well with the music. Also, I'm sure his band mates would tell him whether they thought he "just shreds over EVERYHING", and tell him to dial it back.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in 6th grade (11-12 years old, must've been 2002 or so?) my older sister took me to see Blink 182. I was obsessed with them.
The only thing I really remember about it is that during one of their songs, the entire platform that his drums were on lifted off the stage, moved out over top of the audience, turned completly upside down and then went back. All while he was soloing.

I was moved.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was in 6th grade (11-12 years old, must've been 2002 or so?) my older sister took me to see Blink 182. I was obsessed with them.
The only thing I really remember about it is that during one of their songs, the entire platform that his drums were on lifted off the stage, moved out over top of the audience, turned completly upside down and then went back. All while he was soloing.

I was moved.
Was that the tour with Green Day or the one with No Doubt (or a different one?)

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have nothing bad to say about Travis or Blink. They are a great pop punk band. Dude Ranch still gets plays every couple of months. Catchy, decent lyrics and fast as hell. Travis is a hell of a drummer.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really not a fan of punk, or small kits. I guess they were just not my thing.