Blue Light on Aisle 6: DW Buddy Rich Tribute kit with soft cases

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not Sold, but marked to have this moved to the Sold section. I have decided to hang on to this kit until the market is better.

In excellent condition except the batter heads, which will probably need changing at some point. Includes 24x14 bass drum with associated hardware (rail mount, two bass drum mounted cymbal holders a la Buddy Rich), 13x9 and 16x16 toms (including FT legs), and 14x5.5 snare drum (this one was reputedly made by Johnny Craviotto). The snare drum and toms have stick chopper hoops, and all drums have an antiqued WMP finish. I DO NOT know the note values for each shell. The drums are in a climate controlled storage.

The shells appear to be based on Keller vintage mahogany shells with maple rerings (except the snare drum, which has a single-ply steambent shell.) The bearing edges were based on Slingerland Radio Kings that Buddy endorsed, and the lugs are beaver tail replicas.

Supposedly DW only made 50 of these kits, but I do recall that there was a custom made one for an endorser that had a 22" bass drum instead of the 24" that Buddy used. Regardless of how many were actually made versus claimed to have been made, this is still a relatively rare kit.

Asking $3400. No shipping. Payment via Paypal (I will pay the fees). Will deliver within 300 miles of Daytona Beach, FL up I-95 North and 200 miles south, west or northwest of Daytona Beach after payment clears.

Actual kit. Included cases not shown.
DW-1.jpg

DW-2.jpg

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think your price is good , you just have to wait for the right guy . I have a kit at that price and know I have to wait it out ...
Thanks for the validation of my pricing and approach. Since I don't need the money I am willing to wait it out. It will eventually sell.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hey, I just lowered the price to my absolute bottom. Cannot go lower, so if ever you wanted this supposedly rare kit it's available.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
In the early June time frame I will be able to deliver this kit along this route:
I-75 from Central Florida to Chattanooga->I-24 from Chattanooga to Nashville->I-40 from Nashville to Knoxville->I-81 to Wytheville, VA. Tentatively plan to return to Florida via I-26 from Kingsport, TN to I-95 in the Orangeburg, SC area, and south from there to Daytona Beach and nearby.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bump: see my April 30 comment above. The Nashville trip will start on June 13 and end on the 17th, which the same itinerary as stated in that comment. Any interest in this kit? Here's your chance to avoid shipping and actually play them to make sure these are the drums for you. Ya can't do that on eBay or Reverb, and the chances of one of these kits popping up locally - anywhere - are slim.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
This is a great DW set at a great price…I’m surprised no one has jumped on it yet. I play mine with my big band and it constantly gets praise for its look and sound. Here is the original short-lived ad for it, and two photos of my set. Note: not the set for sale, but the same model. Mine is more yellowed than the one for sale.
DAC8D7F0-1B11-45DD-B6A6-91B9784987F8.jpeg
6453DD3D-F422-44A8-AA6E-3DBDEBEF03E0.jpeg