Blue olive Acrolite, is it a good deal?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Close to me is a Blue olive badge acrolite for sale. The guy's asking $100. Would this be a good deal for this snare?
Also, anybody know what era it's from? Checkout the pictures!
Thanks, LRod
acro1.jpgacro2.jpg

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
$100 is kinda the norm for acro's ... it's a 70's drum ... some here love them .... i had one , i didn't care for it at all
traded it last year for cymbals ....

andlours

Reaction score
I agree with Bob. 70s - 80s acros seem to go for about $100 with the 60s versions and blackrolites costing a bit more. Unless you're really dying to get an acrolite right not, I'd wait and see if you could find one for a bit cheaper or paired with other drums you could sell and get the acro essentially for free.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with Bob. 70s - 80s acros seem to go for about $100 with the 60s versions and blackrolites costing a bit more. Unless you're really dying to get an acrolite right not, I'd wait and see if you could find one for a bit cheaper or paired with other drums you could sell and get the acro essentially for free.
I don't know guys but at least here in my area, I yet to see the first acro for $100. Doesn't matter the year, I haven't seen it anywhere. And out of here on ebay, CL, music go round etc.., all acro's are double that price no matter the year. I wish I knew where you guys are looking because I have yet to see the first one at that price. That's why I asked what it was and if it's a good deal because I see it really cheap from what I've normally seen.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beg to disagree..respectfully....lol.

My *impression* was that the days of the $100 Acros (in playable condition) were pretty much over and even beat up ones usually go for $150 and UP because of the new found love for these old standards.

So I would say that in the condition shown yea, I think that is a very fair to "good" deal for that drum.

Not saying someone won't put up a (slightly) better deal here in a week or so, but still.

I do occasional searches on the 'bay for them and even there they are going for a good bit more than that typically.

Glad I got my two B\O badges for under $75 each (10 years ago maybe?) one of my Keystones ('67 bb muffler) for $95 and the other one ('68) for free!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know guys but at least here in my area, I yet to see the first acro for $100. Doesn't matter the year, I haven't seen it anywhere. And out of here on ebay, CL, music go round etc.., all acro's are double that price no matter the year. I wish I knew where you guys are looking because I have yet to see the first one at that price. That's why I asked what it was and if it's a good deal because I see it really cheap from what I've normally seen.
Where do you live,Irod?
Theyve been those prices for quite a while.
My favorites are the 60s very open tone,loves all heads.
Blackros,which ive had both 5s and 6.5,the coating takes some thinness out of the sound and adds a punch that the 60s Acros dont quite have.
Imho
The 70s Acros,sound very good as well.
I understand that that era,it was shell du jour,sometimes aluminum with slightly different formulas or even steel.
Ive never run across a steel Acro but i have had a Supra that was.
The 70s Acro do sound different to me,maybe no one else.
The 60s and Blackros,uh huh,uh huh!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beg to disagree..respectfully....lol.

My *impression* was that the days of the $100 Acros (in playable condition) were pretty much over and even beat up ones usually go for $150 and UP because of the new found love for these old standards.

So I would say that in the condition shown yea, I think that is a very fair to "good" deal for that drum.

Not saying someone won't put up a (slightly) better deal here in a week or so, but still.

I do occasional searches on the 'bay for them and even there they are going for a good bit more than that typically.

Glad I got my two B\O badges for under $75 each (10 years ago maybe?) one of my Keystones ('67 bb muffler) for $95 and the other one ('68) for free!
That's what I'm saying!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where do you live,Irod?
Theyve been those prices for quite a while.
My favorites are the 60s very open tone,loves all heads.
Blackros,which ive had both 5s and 6.5,the coating takes some thinness out of the sound and adds a punch that the 60s Acros dont quite have.
Imho
The 70s Acros,sound very good as well.
I understand that that era,it was shell du jour,sometimes aluminum with slightly different formulas or even steel.
Ive never run across a steel Acro but i have had a Supra that was.
The 70s Acro do sound different to me,maybe no one else.
The 60s and Blackros,uh huh,uh huh!
I'm in Florida. I've seen high prices for quite some time, that's why I was surprised to see that one for $100. I have a Blackro and would like the regular aluminum one because of that difference in sound. And the guy's asking $100. I might be able to get it for even less than that. I'm gonna write him.
Do you have any idea what decade the one I'm looking at might be?

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like a late 70s-80 rounded points from what i see.
Just guessing.
Well worth 100, if you talk him down,do it

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a good deal. It’s post ‘84 and likely late 80s. Since most Acros are the same the little details matter. You can still find pointed badge 70s with a black face 85, USA thin vintage hoops and hardware, and cleaner shells for $100 but it’s all just nickel and diming with a low cost drum. $80 or less perhaps. Hoops don’t match and the rods are modern (import), have a square gate, likely 2.3mm. The reso head has value if not too stretched and the wires could be Ludwig. Muffler looks nice. Lugs are more modern and not as desirable to many as per ‘84 and earlier.

Last edited:

andlours

Reaction score
What are you using to search Irod? If I go to craigslist and search "Acrolite" I'll only find high dollar ones, because anyone who calls it an acrolite knows what it is. I've had great luck finding them dirt cheap as "student snare set" or "school band drum". If they don't have "acrolite" in the post, they won't know there's a demand for the drum, and in turn, you'll get a better price. Hope that all makes sense.

Rotarded

Reaction score
If you are going by eBay pricing, they ASK $150+. I see them on craigslist and musicgoround offered for less. In my 5 years of sharking the interweb, you can get them from $65 to $125 easily if you look, and act. Unless they are keystone badged 60s, which can go higher. You just need to look. I never have paid over $100 for any Acro including bag and stand, and I've had over a dozen.

And don't forget to search "Biman"!

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buy it if you want one. It has the muffler (usually missing!) and the throw appears newer (this should have a black face P85).......great drum! I have a KB 1969 I got for $60 but that was a fluke! I have a B/O I got for $62 off GC.com (missing badge but with tube lugs)........everyone says they are $100 drums but between tax and s/h and missing pieces, it's usually $125+. So $100 cash is good, but $80 is better!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are you using to search Irod? If I go to craigslist and search "Acrolite" I'll only find high dollar ones, because anyone who calls it an acrolite knows what it is. I've had great luck finding them dirt cheap as "student snare set" or "school band drum". If they don't have "acrolite" in the post, they won't know there's a demand for the drum, and in turn, you'll get a better price. Hope that all makes sense.
I've tried all the generic term tricks. Throughout the whole state many times. No dice!