Blue olive Acrolite, is it a good deal?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are going by eBay pricing, they ASK $150+. I see them on craigslist and musicgoround offered for less. In my 5 years of sharking the interweb, you can get them from $65 to $125 easily if you look, and act. Unless they are keystone badged 60s, which can go higher. You just need to look. I never have paid over $100 for any Acro including bag and stand, and I've had over a dozen.

And don't forget to search "Biman"!
I look all the time all over the place and I don't see anything at $100. I guess you guys have luck with that.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not a good deal. It’s post ‘84 and likely late 80s. Since most Acros are the same the little details matter. You can still find pointed badge 70s with a black face 85, USA thin vintage hoops and hardware, and cleaner shells for $100 but it’s all just nickel and diming with a low cost drum. $80 or less perhaps. Hoops don’t match and the rods are modern (import), have a square gate, likely 2.3mm. The reso head has value if not too stretched and the wires could be Ludwig. Muffler looks nice. Lugs are more modern and not as desirable to many as per ‘84 and earlier.
I'd love to see an example of one being sold for those prices that you are talking about. Here it's non existent! And If I find one beyond my area, I'll have to pay shipping so their goes the good deal. For example I looked at Music go round and they have some mega beat up ugly ones for like $150 + ridiculous shipping.
I'm not desperately needing one, I just thought it was a decent deal for $100 and it would be nice to have that one as well since I already have a Blacro.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd pull the trigger on it. Be aware that there were some lugs from that era that crack. I can help you with a cheap effective repair on that if needed.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd pull the trigger on it. Be aware that there were some lugs from that era that crack. I can help you with a cheap effective repair on that if needed.
Cool, thanks!
I wrote the guy a few hours ago and no response. Hopefully he answers back tomorrow. Lets see what happens!

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$100 is actually a good price for any Acro in good shape...not bargain/steal but good.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
This is probably early 80's and the strainer is probably a new P-85 replacement. $100 seems like a good deal nowadays and this one should clean up nice. I can remember when the norm for an acrolite was around $50.00.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
Acrolite is a decent snare. I got mine at a thrift store on half off day for $20 with original everything. Someone bought it and put it in the attic or something I guess. Best $20 I ever spent! $100 seems a solid price too. It’ll serve you well.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been actively seeking, buying and selling used drums for 25 years. I lived most of that time in the NYC metro area and the last 6 years in Savannah, GA.
I have heard all these stories of $20 acros, and I'm sure they're all true. In all those years, and hundreds of drums, I don't think I got more that one or two acros for much under $100. A couple of times when I wanted one I paid around $125 from a dealer for ones in as is condition. Yes, super cheap ones exist, but not always at the moment when you want one... so even if you have to pay $150 or even more for one, it's still a good deal.
Most of us have had sick deals on vintage sets and snares, but they rarely show up the actual day or week that you want a specific one.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
You can probably blame this forum for the price hike. Used to be almost given away, I never liked mine much but gave it a second chance after all the raves about it here and it's just ok to me, I guess I like 10 lug snares is what I've determined. $100 is good and probably can get it for a little less with cash in hand and you don't have to keep looking for one.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb=retarded price, Ebay=silly price, CL=deal-to-wtf pricing, Goodwill=we don't know what it is, sell it to you for $20.

I love my 64' and 77'. That price isn't a steal, but worth getting.
You know, I'm probably gonna go to all the thrift stores around here. Their are tons of them and I've never set foot into any. Maybe I'll find something.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Try offering him $80. I don't think the strainer is original. You can approximate age with the Ludwig serial number chart. $100 isn't bad, but it's borderline - try talking him down a bit. I got an early 80s Acro for free - saved it from a dumpster. It's not super versatile but it really does sound good, and records well too.

rock roll

Reaction score
My view on buying is.. Time is money..if you want it and resale value is aceptable, ...... Buy it.
Make yourself happy and enjoy it.
To save 20 or so dollars by continuing to look is not worth the extra time .
Just my .02cents.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My view on buying is.. Time is money..if you want it and resale value is aceptable, ...... Buy it.
Make yourself happy and enjoy it.
To save 20 or so dollars by continuing to look is not worth the extra time .
Just my .02cents.
I do have a Blacro so I'm not desperate for the other one. I just thought it would be nice for the different sound. I came across it locally at that price and posted for your opinions. $20 more wont change my mind on a purchase. I would pay more if I have to on something I like. A super deal is not my #1 priority when purchasing something but it is a plus. The main thing is that it's nice and I like it. Like if it would have been posted for $150, I still would have asked you guys and probably would have still bought it at that price. Bottom line, it's local and it's $100 bucks so I would buy it just to add it to the collection. Anyways, the guy has yet to respond so let's see what happens!

rock roll

Reaction score
I do have a Blacro so I'm not desperate for the other one. I just thought it would be nice for the different sound. I came across it locally at that price and posted for your opinions. $20 more wont change my mind on a purchase. I would pay more if I have to on something I like. A super deal is not my #1 priority when purchasing something but it is a plus. The main thing is that it's nice and I like it. Like if it would have been posted for $150, I still would have asked you guys and probably would have still bought it at that price. Bottom line, it's local and it's $100 bucks so I would buy it just to add it to the collection. Anyways, the guy has yet to respond so let's see what happens!
Good luck and post how it sounds if you get it.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reverb=retarded price, Ebay=silly price, CL=deal-to-wtf pricing, Goodwill=we don't know what it is, sell it to you for $20.

I love my 64' and 77'. That price isn't a steal, but worth getting.
Dont forget pawnshops,I scored 5",60$,6.5 blackro,140$,several wooden snares for $60 in just a matter of months!
No brag,just fact!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dont forget pawnshops,I scored 5",60$,6.5 blackro,140$,several wooden snares for $60 in just a matter of months!
No brag,just fact!
Got plenty of pawnshops around here as well. I'm gonna check them out!

Latest posts