Bob Marley and the Wailers

Base

Reaction score
I pulled out a "Best Of" CD that I completely forgot that I had. Man, this guy was a genius! Love his music. Does anyone know who his drummer was?
That would be Carlton Barnett.
The whole band is fantastic! I was gifted the libe album "Babylon by bus" a few days ago. They're so tight and grooving.... I guess that comes from living rehearsing/playing together for some years :)

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
The whole band is fantastic! I was gifted the libe album "Babylon by bus" a few days ago. They're so tight and grooving.... I guess that comes from living rehearsing/playing together for some years :)
Thanks. Just found this. A tragic ending:

On 17 April 1987, just as Carlton arrived at his Kingston home and walked across his yard, a gunman stepped up behind him and shot him twice in the head. He was dead on arrival at a Kingston hospital at age 36.

Shortly after his murder, Carlton's wife, Albertine, her lover, a taxi driver named Glenroy Carter, and another man, Junior Neil, were arrested and charged with his killing. Albertine and Carter escaped the murder charge, and were instead convicted and sentenced to 7 years for conspiracy. After just one year in prison, they were released in December 1992 on a legal technicality.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Babylon by Bus. I would also suggest Live at The Roxy and the Live Forever show at The Stanley Theater. Good good good stuff.

Marley has become one of my favorites. I highly suggest going ALL the way back and listening to his early music and following the progression of Reggae. That's a sad story about Barnett. He's also become one of my favorites, and I also did not know his name. I'm surprised and disappointed at myself for not knowing.

Vicey

Reaction score
It also helps that the bass player was his brother Ashton. They played together with Scratch Perry before joining the Wailers; they probably learned to play together. Up there with Sly and Robbie as a super-tight reggae riddim section.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a great live one also. I was given a bootleg of this many years ago, and sure enough in 2021 its on YouTube:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah Babylon By Bus is the live album and that is a must have!