Bodhisattva - Help!

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time figuring out a little part of this song and I need some help please. What is the timing of the piano and horn stabs?
At 2:40 on this video you’ll hear the part I’m struggling with. Can someone please help me figure out the timing of those stabs?

Reactions: JDA

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you used the "Settings" feature to slow the video speed down to 0.75/0.50/0.25 to analyze it?

Don't know if it will help, but here's a bass/drum iso version of the studio cut...

Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are mostly a 16th ahead of the beat, slightly swung.

So it’s written in 4/4 but it is cut time.

Last edited:

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are mostly a 16th ahead of the beat, slightly swung.
I think this might be the closest answer so far. (???) :-/

I can hear it in my head but I cannot count this or figure out how I would notate that little section. It needs to be tight as heck though.

On the original the drummer just kind of plays right through those little accents, but in this live version they are really called out much more.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
At 2:40, the hits are on beat 1. That goes on for maybe 7 bars, then the piano comes back in and the bass drum hits on 1 and the and of 2, which is basically the Charleston or tumbao.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It took a while to sink in, but I'm getting it now. I'm counting those horn accents on 1&3 (assuming 4/4 and not cut time). And yes.. The anticipated beats were really killing me in figuring this out!

Reactions: JDA

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys! It really does help to think of that Charleston beat while playing the song. The whole thing is starting to open up for me now more than before.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you man I’ve now got the entire song memorized after having it play in my head non stop for 2 days! Now I’ve just got to convince the band to learn it.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is the version we are modeling after. Tempo is fast. It's a workout!

Latest posts