header.nohb.html

BONHAM... Can YOU hear the squeaky bass pedal in "SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING"?? (SQUEAK KING!)

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WARNNG... TOTAL BONHAM NERD-DOM ALERT

Always heard about the infamous Zep Speed King squeak on the studio version of "SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU" (third album), but I cannot hear the squeak on either the studio Spotify or Youtube examples. Is the squeak only on the original vinyl? Maybe everything we hear now online has been remastered with the squeak removed?

From what I have heard, the squeak was/is pretty obvious in the first section where the drums are very exposed sonically, but I cannot hear it. (I do have 70 yr old abused hearing, though)

If you can hear it, please let me know what time stamp to look for, and if I need the original vinyl to hear it.

Inquiry minds want (need) to know.

john-bonham-zeppelin-biographie.jpeg

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you can hear it on the remastered box set that came out way back when CDs were the way we listened to music:). I had the original on tape but don’t remember now or didn’t pay attention then

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a song on In through the out door (can’t remember the title) that you can hear it plain as day.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can hear it within the first ten seconds, when Page is playing quietly and Bonham's accompanying him. HOWEVER, it is NOT on the version that was remastered during the 2010s — during the remastering process Page got rid of the squeak. So you'll need to dig up an original-issue CD or (heaven forbid) an old vinyl copy to be able to hear it.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
not to hijack but you can hear the SK "squeak" on either "I Feel Good" or "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"
that squeak on SIBLY was clear as a bell on the original vinyl too

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"All My Love" is always my go-to for the Squeak King (and for Bonham's CRAZY vocalizations)

You can hear the squeak very well around the 2:35 mark, and his "vocals" all the way through:

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. I noticed it when the album was first released. Love it. Can't speak to all of the different versions. I know it is on the first CD release. They should leave the original recordings alone, imho.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear it at 2:37 and 2:39 - a high pitched squeak. Never have I heard it on the albums and I've listened to them OVER and OVER with good headphones......hmm......

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I miss the days when you could have a hit on the radio with a squeaky pedal.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can hear it the second the drums come in. Once you hear it, you'll never not hear it again.
You'll not hear it on the Jimmy-Page remastered version of the album (but if you're like me you'll miss it...)

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's still on the Spotify version of the album. I'm listening to it right now and the squeak starts immediately.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hear it on the remasters, thank god. A little off to the right. God this recording is amazing.

mattr

Reaction score

Not to hijack, but somethings squeaking at the 25 second mark… but the drum intro is pretty clean.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they were “Easter eggs” before there were Easter eggs ;)

Nowadaze it’s....get it here folks...the brand new “Drumset Squeak Sample Pack”!!!!
Now you to can drop that “squeak” into any recording you desire. Think of all the fun you‘ll have....amaze your friends with your “squeaky clean“ recordings.
You can play guess that squeak and even drop a drum pedal squeak into a guitar track to really mess things up... The only problem here is the guitar person will want to rebuild their “rig”, or get another pedal.
Can’t wait for the app.....
bt

stuart s

Reaction score
Because I play squeaky pedals, I dont notice it in recordings unless I try to pinpoint it. Its just part of the music.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just listened to the 1994 remaster of LED ZEP 3 on Spotify thru quality Shure phones... still do not hear it.

I am the only lonely drummer on DFO who cannot "hear the squeak".

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just listened to the 1994 remaster of LED ZEP 3 on Spotify thru quality Shure phones... still do not hear it.

I am the only lonely drummer on DFO who cannot "hear the squeak".

My good man, just grab a CD of Led Zeppelin 3 pre 2000 or from this box set -

…. Do NOT listen on headphones, do NOT listen on a computer, listen over a stereo with 2 speakers ,,,, the squeak is Immediate and throughout the entire song , I’ll explain how to hear it the best I can below.

Do not listen for the bass drum to hear the squeak , the squeak will always be before and after the bass drum hits , when you’re looking at the speakers, this is the most important part - focus both your eyes and your ears to the right of center , the squeak will be coming from the RIGHT CHANNEL - and it will not be under the music it will be OVER the music.

If you do what I’m telling you , you will absolutely hear it. Once you hear it here you will hear it on many of their tracks off many of their albums. Happy listening buddy!