Bonham drum solo - just pure bliss!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I came across an awful channel on YT that had 80's drum solos! They also had a video of the best 60's and 70's drum solos........some were okay but they have Bonham as #2 to Ginger Baker - I don't want to start that debate.

However, the Bonham solo to me is just incredible - it starts at about 7:58 and goes for a minute. But for 2 single hits on his 18" FT, it is basically a solo on a 4 piece kit - rack/FT/snare/bass. Each drum sounds incredible and just perfect to me. He is just going off on a whole other level of groove! Perfect snare sound, thunderous bass, and a very nice spread between the 2 toms from deep to very deep.........

Does anybody know what show that solo is from? Or which live album? Wow!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

(Kb)

Reaction score
That solo is from a Royal Albert Hall Show 1/9/70... featured on this DVD.

"We're Gonna Groove" and "I Can't Quit You" on the Coda album are actually from this show also.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you, KB! I figured it was an earlier gig because the drums are natural maple, no ching ring, and Bonzo is thin and exudes energy.......will try to find that setlist........

Sweet - found the entire video on Vimeo!!!

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great video.

I can't believe how high BJ Wilson's snare is. It's almost at his chest. I though I played mine a bit high, but wow.

They probably should have found an older Neil Peart solo, seeing how this is supposed to be from the 60's/70's. This one is from like 1990 or something - kind of out of place in this group.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Peart video is from Show of Hands and the exact clip is also in their "80's drummers" video. Ginger's kit sounds awful but obviously a killer player. I liked Mitch Mitchell's solo - Hendrix looks so out of it as does M.M....must be from'70 as it's the black Gretsch kit. The guy from Deep Purple was great and also Grand Funk. BJ is sitting way low....weird......

If you watch the 80's video, you will better appreciate the 70's guys' playing.

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ginger Baker's drums didn't sound crappy,it was the recording.Want to see/hear a great drum solo? Check out Carl Palmer.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chris - you're right - it was the recording.

Part of my fascination with the Bonzo solo in that video is the fact that all his drums sound incredible - clean, loud and mixed just right - kudos to the sound engineers.....especially in 1970!

Latest posts