Bonham Sticks & Shirts in the USA

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
PRESS RELEASE
Cardinal Percussion has been chosen as the exclusive USA distributor of the Promuco branded John Bonham Signature Sticks and Shirts.
Back in 1964, the British Professional Music Company started making drumsticks in Yorkshire, England. After a couple of years of local success, a certain Buddy Rich caught on to the sticks and helped introduce them to the American market. Subsequently, Promuco sticks came to the attention of a growing number of influential drummers, and it was during the early 70s that Zeppelin’s powerhouse, John Bonham had his own sticks commissioned by the British manufacturer.
From that point on, Bonzo’s ‘Trees’ - as he called them – banged the skins of hundreds of kits, creating an era-defining, iconic sound that is still revered by drummers around the globe.
January 2020 saw the re-issue of these iconic sticks under the original Promuco brand, now in the ownership of the original British distribution company, Barnes & Mullins.
Made to the same exacting standards as the 70s versions, Promuco’s re-issued signature JB sticks conform to the same weight and dimension profile as the much sought-after originals and feature the legendary ‘acorn-shaped’ wood tip.
At Promuco Percussion – which still has its base here in the United Kingdom – we are incredibly proud to have one of the all-time great drummers as one of our legacy artists. We’re delighted to make these wonderfully tough sticks available once more to music stores and drummers the world over.
Having worked closely with the Bonham estate through the Led Zeppelin and John Bonham license holders, you can be sure that these John Bonham sticks are an officially licensed and approved product.

Mark Tirabassi of Cardinal Percussion stated “Bonzo will always be one of the greatest drumming Icons of Rock & Roll – We are honored to team up with Barnes and Mullins to bring the Trees of an Icon to the United States.”

Cardinal Percussion
1124 Churchill-Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH 44505
330-707-4446
Sales@cardinalpercussion.com

Attachments

Ldavis

Reaction score
Hi Mark. I just joined this forum and as soon as I saw the name Bonham, I had to see what it was about. The man truely was the G.O.A.T! What is the price of the sticks and T shirts?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This made me wonder "What size sticks did Bonzo play?"

Not sure this is an authoritative answer, but it is an answer:

Brand: Promuco, hickory model. (1975)

Size: medium 5B

John Bonham used a variety of drum sticks throughout his drumming career. When roadie Glen Colsen set his gear up early on, he remembers them being very big sticks. "A huge box full of stick was delivered - the thickest I'd ever seen. John would break two or three drumsticks a night, and I'd have to hand him a new stick while standing at the side of the stage." Glen Colson - "John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums" by Chris Welch.

“Other sources have said that John Bonham used Ludwig 2A (in 1977 to 1980 - Jeff Ocheltree), 2B and 5B Hickory Sticks.

John Bonham also used custom sticks made by Eddie Ryan and custom 5B hickory sticks in 1975 made by Promuco, an English manufacturer. They measure 15.95" long by .59" in diameter.

Another source claims that John Bonham used 16-inch Premier sticks with an acorn tip.

John Bonham also used tympani mallets for playing the tympanis and for use during drum solos and during White Summer/Black Mountain Side, a gong mallet for use with the Paiste Symphonic Gong and brushes in the studio for use on The Rain Song.

Jeff Ocheltree who worked with Led Zeppelin during their later tours remembers Bonham using medium-weight sticks made from hickory. He says: "He didn't play heavy sticks, he didn't play butt-ends out, and he didn't smash the drums. He had incredible technique. He knew it wasn't about how hard you hit them, but how you hit them." - Sounds like Bonzo's technique had moved on a long way from his early days. “- John Bonham - Drumstick Collector Wiki

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-drumsticks-brand-and-size-did-John-Bonham-use

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
Hi Mark. I just joined this forum and as soon as I saw the name Bonham, I had to see what it was about. The man truely was the G.O.A.T! What is the price of the sticks and T shirts?
Ldavis,
I am the distributor of the product in the USA so unfortunately I can’t quote what a dealer will sell the items for. I can tell you that the Bonham sticks will MAP at $12.99 a pair and the three models of T shirts will MAP at $29.99 each. Any dealer in the USA can order from Cardinal Percussion.
sales@cardinalpercussion.com

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
This made me wonder "What size sticks did Bonzo play?"

Not sure this is an authoritative answer, but it is an answer:

Brand: Promuco, hickory model. (1975)

Size: medium 5B

John Bonham used a variety of drum sticks throughout his drumming career. When roadie Glen Colsen set his gear up early on, he remembers them being very big sticks. "A huge box full of stick was delivered - the thickest I'd ever seen. John would break two or three drumsticks a night, and I'd have to hand him a new stick while standing at the side of the stage." Glen Colson - "John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums" by Chris Welch.

“Other sources have said that John Bonham used Ludwig 2A (in 1977 to 1980 - Jeff Ocheltree), 2B and 5B Hickory Sticks.

John Bonham also used custom sticks made by Eddie Ryan and custom 5B hickory sticks in 1975 made by Promuco, an English manufacturer. They measure 15.95" long by .59" in diameter.

Another source claims that John Bonham used 16-inch Premier sticks with an acorn tip.

John Bonham also used tympani mallets for playing the tympanis and for use during drum solos and during White Summer/Black Mountain Side, a gong mallet for use with the Paiste Symphonic Gong and brushes in the studio for use on The Rain Song.

Jeff Ocheltree who worked with Led Zeppelin during their later tours remembers Bonham using medium-weight sticks made from hickory. He says: "He didn't play heavy sticks, he didn't play butt-ends out, and he didn't smash the drums. He had incredible technique. He knew it wasn't about how hard you hit them, but how you hit them." - Sounds like Bonzo's technique had moved on a long way from his early days. “- John Bonham - Drumstick Collector Wiki

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-drumsticks-brand-and-size-did-John-Bonham-use
Here is a link to the Promuco page

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had to get the full set, it would be the ones listed below.
15" Masters Thin Hi Hats (pair)

· 18" Masters Extra Thin cymbal

· 20" Masters Extra Thin cymbal

· 22" Masters Thin cymbal

· **FREE 18" PSTX Swiss Thin Crash.

FEATURESIncludes 15" Masters Thin Hi-Hats, 18" Masters Extra Thin cymbal, 20" Masters Extra Thin cymbal and 22" Masters Thin cymbalFREE 18" PSTX Swiss Thin CrashHand-hammered

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had to get the full set, it would be the ones listed below.
15" Masters Thin Hi Hats (pair)

· 18" Masters Extra Thin cymbal

· 20" Masters Extra Thin cymbal

· 22" Masters Thin cymbal

· **FREE 18" PSTX Swiss Thin Crash.

FEATURESIncludes 15" Masters Thin Hi-Hats, 18" Masters Extra Thin cymbal, 20" Masters Extra Thin cymbal and 22" Masters Thin cymbalFREE 18" PSTX Swiss Thin CrashHand-hammered
Sounds like a great set but I'm wondering if you meant to respond to a different thread?