BONHAM!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are tons of threat everything Bonham, but after the Carouselamba thread, I really went back and examined his playing to the best of my ability.
The reason I picked up drum sticks. The reason I practiced, and much much more. IMO the most influential drummer since popular music became a thing. From the power toms, big drums, tuning, gear.....but nobody got his sound...that i heard anyway
After the Carouselamba thread, I went back and studies his carrer, his playing, his maturation as a musician, and a drummer.
This could be a book, so I'll get right to an aspect of his playing that i never really payed much attention to, but was such a huge part of his playing, but I never looked at it like i recently have.
His playing, especially live, had so much linear playing going on, but even though I'd try and imitate, the context in wich he played lead me to believe he played everything but linear.
From his famous 16th note triplets between his bass, and his foot (besides the backbeats), to his crossovers, and so much more.
For years I'd cheat with R handed leads on his crossovers, or RLF stuff.
The past 2 days i started working on doing the crossovers, 16th note trips with his feel, to his LLFRR (which happens to be a 5 stroke roll, and many other rudiments in many of his phrasings)
I did my best to simulate what he's doing, but when I push the tempo i made mistakes.
I'll post 2 vids. Each less than a min. I'm gonna put in the time, and effort to get these, and others sounding decent.
I'm working on others, but didn't upload em.
These are super creative, musical, and not easy to execute correctly, especially as I'm leading lefty.
Thanks to Bonzology, and those guys.
What those cats do, is amazing. Bonzology's memory is uncanny, and really does a great job
I'm trying to play much to fast, and there are mistakes, but I feel i occasionally get it going.
I don't practice at the fast tempos

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
There are tons of threat everything Bonham, but after the Carouselamba thread, I really went back and examined his playing to the best of my ability.
The reason I picked up drum sticks. The reason I practiced, and much much more. IMO the most influential drummer since popular music became a thing. From the power toms, big drums, tuning, gear.....but nobody got his sound...that i heard anyway
After the Carouselamba thread, I went back and studies his carrer, his playing, his maturation as a musician, and a drummer.
This could be a book, so I'll get right to an aspect of his playing that i never really payed much attention to, but was such a huge part of his playing, but I never looked at it like i recently have.
His playing, especially live, had so much linear playing going on, but even though I'd try and imitate, the context in wich he played lead me to believe he played everything but linear.
From his famous 16th note triplets between his bass, and his foot (besides the backbeats), to his crossovers, and so much more.
For years I'd cheat with R handed leads on his crossovers, or RLF stuff.
The past 2 days i started working on doing the crossovers, 16th note trips with his feel, to his LLFRR (which happens to be a 5 stroke roll, and many other rudiments in many of his phrasings)
I did my best to simulate what he's doing, but when I push the tempo i made mistakes.
I'll post 2 vids. Each less than a min. I'm gonna put in the time, and effort to get these, and others sounding decent.
I'm working on others, but didn't upload em.
These are super creative, musical, and not easy to execute correctly, especially as I'm leading lefty.
Thanks to Bonzology, and those guys.
What those cats do, is amazing. Bonzology's memory is uncanny, and really does a great job
I'm trying to play much to fast, and there are mistakes, but I feel i occasionally get it going.
I don't practice at the fast tempos
I’m going with Buddy Rich as the most influential drummer in the history of pop music including influencing Bonham. And then Ringo and maybe Gadd. BTW, those licks you were playing, Buddy licks.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m going with Buddy Rich as the most influential drummer in the history of pop music including influencing Bonham. And then Ringo and maybe Gadd. BTW, those licks you were playing, Buddy licks.
I guess it's objective to many, but for me, what I've heard, and seen since Bonham hit the scene. There's none more influential (my opinion) Bonham used thoes licks as a showcase piece, with incredible power.
They all stole from each other, and still do.
Bonham changed everything drums to this day. Just about everyone started using vistalite kits. Where, and are there more skilled drummers? No doubt!
I know Carmine says Bonham got the 16th note trip pattern from him...IDK, I never heard Carmine do it, and is a great story teller . However I never heard a drummer string along thoes foot triplets like Bonham did in Good Times, and so many of their tunes a 95 bpm.
I guess Beatles fans will throw Ringo in there, but I still hear Bonham today, and still see the giant bass drums, ans all.
Didn't Paul, and possibly others play on several of the Beatles tunes?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not questioning others have played thoes licks, or were much more skilled.
I'm talking about influential on popular music.
Watching the styles, Buddy was a far more skilled, and technical drummer.
I did hear him play all those licks, besides the 16th note triplet (hats-foot).
I had seen this before, and it is incredible, no doubt. Again people didn't change their entire set ups, use the exact drums, just change music as a whole.
When you watch the Parccaro vid, or even the Chambers/Scofield vid, Bonham always comes up. The 80's were basically a tribute to Bonham.
I'm not debating who's more skilled at all
Oh, and in interviews with todays top drummers, ya don't hear Buddy mentioned as much as Bonham.
It's been 40 years since Bonham's death, and he's as, or more popular now

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do think Bonham was influenced by Joe Morello more than Buddy. The solo structure are very similar. Joe was another great. From all I've read, Bonham was heavily influenced by Motown, James Brown, and those guys.
Anyway learning to play the fills correctly has been a great help to my foot, as well as dynamics. To get the crossovers to sound halfway decent, ya really gotta nail the snare rim shots, and at quicker tempos, they're almost like flams.
I guess this topic is played out?
I just took the Carouselamba thread, and wanted to expand a little on it.
Any new coordination is a good coordination

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do think Bonham was influenced by Joe Morello more than Buddy. The solo structure are very similar. Joe was another great. From all I've read, Bonham was heavily influenced by Motown, James Brown, and those guys.
Anyway learning to play the fills correctly has been a great help to my foot, as well as dynamics. To get the crossovers to sound halfway decent, ya really gotta nail the snare rim shots, and at quicker tempos, they're almost like flams.
I guess this topic is played out?
I just took the Carouselamba thread, and wanted to expand a little on it.
Any new coordination is a good coordination
Anyone have a link to this “Carouselamba” thread? I must have missed it.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to this “Carouselamba” thread? I must have missed it.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
The only advice I can give about the triplet fills is to make sure you maintain the triplet feel throughout. Practice at one tempo until you can execute them cleanly and maintain the feel, then stop. Start again at a slightly faster tempo the same way, then still faster, etc. You'll be more successful if you gradually build up to very fast tempos as opposed to jumping from slow to fast.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only advice I can give about the triplet fills is to make sure you maintain the triplet feel throughout. Practice at one tempo until you can execute them cleanly and maintain the feel, then stop. Start again at a slightly faster tempo the same way, then still faster, etc. You'll be more successful if you gradually build up to very fast tempos as opposed to jumping from slow to fast.
Yeah. It was my 2nd day practicing them, and i wasn't ready to publish em, but I've had the Carouselamba thread on my mind, and started practicing some of the Bonham stuff.
I don't usually attempt to play them that fast, but I have a bad habbit of saying "it's good enough", and then I redo it a few times lol.
I definitely wasn't ready to try that tempo. I'll take it back, as you suggested, as i felt i was losing that feel.
I really appreciate your input, and help!
I like constructive criticism. It's a sign of an honest cat.
I had said something about a real friend wouldn't let ya walk around all day with a booger hanging lol

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I guess it's objective to many, but for me, what I've heard, and seen since Bonham hit the scene. There's none more influential (my opinion) Bonham used thoes licks as a showcase piece, with incredible power.
They all stole from each other, and still do.
Bonham changed everything drums to this day. Just about everyone started using vistalite kits. Where, and are there more skilled drummers? No doubt!
I know Carmine says Bonham got the 16th note trip pattern from him...IDK, I never heard Carmine do it, and is a great story teller . However I never heard a drummer string along thoes foot triplets like Bonham did in Good Times, and so many of their tunes a 95 bpm.
I guess Beatles fans will throw Ringo in there, but I still hear Bonham today, and still see the giant bass drums, ans all.
Didn't Paul, and possibly others play on several of the Beatles tunes?
I remember wondering how the heck Bonham played those double bounces on GTBT with so much speed and power. Then someone told me to raise my heel off the pedal board. I was like, oh, you can do that?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Bonham, In my impressionable youth I wanted to play just like him but at some point gave it up and focused playing like me. Still, I have a mean crossover paradiddle and a decent hand to foot triplet.

I think his feel was amazing and sure, guys like Rich and Williams and Cobham were technically better and faster drummer but they played Jazz and Fusion and who listens to that?

If you were a blue collar kid with thoughts of being a drummer and your best friends older brother put Dazed and Confused on the record player for the first time, well that was transformative.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's too bad there are so few drumless Zep tunes.
I'd love to work on Carouselamba. I hadn't played that tune since I was a kid.
I think that may be one of the very few Bonham drum tracks where he's not on the rim shots. Either that, or he tuned the snare different than usual.
Anyone notice that?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember wondering how the heck Bonham played those double bounces on GTBT with so much speed and power. Then someone told me to raise my heel pff the pedal board. I was like, oh, you can do that?
I've mentioned this more than I'd like, but i have no feeling in my R foot. Thats exactly how I have to play now, and use an old Camco pedal.
I'm very happy with the progress I've made. I raise my heel, and feel the rebound.
I love Bonham, In my impressionable youth I wanted to play just like him but at some point gave it up and focused playing like me. Still, I have a mean crossover paradiddle and a decent hand to foot triplet.

I think his feel was amazing and sure, guys like Rich and Williams and Cobham were technically better and faster drummer but they played Jazz and Fusion and who listens to that?

If you were a blue collar kid with thoughts of being a drummer and your best friends older brother put Dazed and Confused on the record player for the first time, well that was transformative.
Same here, but I realized a long time ago that wasn't going to happen lol.
There is a plethora of licks Bonham uses that can be applied almost anywhere.
There may be better technical drummers, but imo, nobody looks cooler playing thoes crossover like Bonham.
My goal is to keep solid time, learn the tunes, but have the vocab to throw something out there once in a while.
Too bad I feel like I'm moving further, and further away.
The only way I really improve is to gig often. Gigging is a whole other animal.
Excellent post.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
sure, guys like Rich and Williams and Cobham were technically better and faster drummer but they played Jazz and Fusion and who listens to that?
He asked coyly... ;)

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
. . . I think his feel was amazing and sure, guys like Rich and Williams and Cobham were technically better and faster drummer but they played Jazz and Fusion and who listens to that . . . ?
Lol! Not too many anymore I suppose. Jazz isn’t dead, it just smells funny. But, I’ll listen to this all day long:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol! Not too many anymore I suppose. Jazz isn’t dead, it just smells funny. But, I’ll listen to this all day long:

Jazz drumming is amazing. I learned a few required piece in college, and luckily they weren't too tough.
We'd all play unmic'd, and i had to really feather the bass.
When I listen to Williams, Rich, or those guys, I'm immediately lost. The only way I'd be able to play a jazz tune, is by reading the charts VERY slowly, and it would take me forever.
If i grew up playing nothing but Jazz, who knows, but thoes guy's are unbelievable.
I would like to see thoes guys sit in for Zep. Of the jazz guys i know, Elvin could have had a chance?
That would have been something to see

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard them mention this. The audio is amazingly close, but that's not the actual track, or alternate track? These guys got it REALLY close
I hear a few subtle differences.
Wow this is amazing!
That drummer is cool as hell, and has an incredible memory. He knows just about every bootleg version from different shows from different nights.
I must have watched/listend to TSRS 100's of times, and never got it.
It was also before YouTube. YouTube has been an amazing gift to musicians. I wish it had it growing up
I do wish I could hear Bonham's bass compressed a little bit on the non iso tracks