Book Recommendations for Beginners?

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a book or books that are suitable for beginning student?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Depending on the age...

Normal aged beginners - never read music before: Alfred's Drum Method.
I like this one because it has play along CDs for the book which help students have something to play with and help work on their time.
After that book, I will use Alfred's Beginning Drum Set Book for the same reason.

They make a book for younger students called Alfred's Kids Drum Course Complete that is a lot like the Drum Method but a little watered down. It also has fun color pictures for the young students. I'm using it for the first time with a 1st grade student (a lot younger than I would like to start them -but that's been covered elsewhere) and seem to be having some pretty good success.

:bunny:

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thanks cworrick!!! i really appreciate it. i've been playing for years and recently had the chance to give lessons to a friend. so far, i'm winging it with him! i enjoy it so much though and would really like to start giving lessons to others. i feel i need to prepare much more before attempting to get students. i love working with kids so the suggestions you've given sound like a good place to start!

ParadigmDrums

Reaction score
I like to start students w/Syncopation for beginning reading and The Drumset Musician for beginning drumset players. Best beginning drumset book I've seen; lots of great material in it and some play along stuff on CD.

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite 1st book, and has been for 40+ years, is Haskell Harr Book 1. It's pretty much snare drum only (a little bass) and focuses on getting a solid foundation in counting rhythms.

As a band director I used it with beginners for the first 6 months before moving them into the method books the winds were using. (I was fortunate to be able to meet w/percussion separately while another director took the winds.)

Now retired from band directing, I still use it with my beginning private lesson students.

This was also one of the very first percussion books (or any instrument for that matter) to have a "play-along". You could order an LP (33) and play along with an organ. Those albums are probably collectors items now. I have it....somewhere.

nanashi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haskell Harr is a good book and also Ted Reed's Syncopation. One suggestion for the syncopation, get the copy for band instruments. The rhythms are the same but it also helps the student learn to read on more than one line.

Modern School for Snare Drum by Morris Goldenberg is one of the best. It is easy to read, has graduated studies from beginner on up, duets at each level. It also touches on other instruments like bass drum, triangle, cymbals, etc.,percussion parts from different orchestral works, the complete percussion part for works like Stravinsky's L'Histoire Du Soldat and the complete score for Ionisation By Edgar Varese and pointers on how to perform them.

Personally outside of a couple of books on independence, I don't believe in teaching the set out of a book.

10thAvenueDrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've started using Stick Control By G.L.S. at home playing the patterns on both my hands and my feet, preparing for a Skype lesson with Dom :) It's a hell of a routine.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
My favorite 1st book, and has been for 40+ years, is Haskell Harr Book 1. It's pretty much snare drum only (a little bass) and focuses on getting a solid foundation in counting rhythms.

As a band director I used it with beginners for the first 6 months before moving them into the method books the winds were using. (I was fortunate to be able to meet w/percussion separately while another director took the winds.)

Now retired from band directing, I still use it with my beginning private lesson students.

This was also one of the very first percussion books (or any instrument for that matter) to have a "play-along". You could order an LP (33) and play along with an organ. Those albums are probably collectors items now. I have it....somewhere.
+1 The other books are good but this one covers the rudiments, reading, and it is literally the best first book in drums, particularly for snare drum. Obviously there are other books that address specifics well, but this is the one that I think teaches (along with a competent teacher) the learning drummer the basics.

Thwack

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like to start students w/Syncopation for beginning reading and The Drumset Musician for beginning drumset players. Best beginning drumset book I've seen; lots of great material in it and some play along stuff on CD.
I've been looking for a good intermediate level book to use. What do you use as your second level drumset book after "The Drumset Musician"?

Thanks.

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first drum book was Elementary Drum Method by Roy Burns.
It may not be the best of the best but it was written by a great drummer.

JDemlow

Reaction score
For beginning drum set, I like to use Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials 1.0, and for beginning snare, I am actually a big fan of Norm Weinberg's Web Rhythms over at VicFirth.com. My students like those because they can play along with them at home. Hope this helps!

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been buying quite a few books lately.
Two that have not been mentioned:
1 Teaching Rhythm - Joel Rothman (for all instruments) This is straight forward and pretty easy to read.
2 Master Studies - Joe Morello is not a beginners book but it is a great book and it shows the stickings and covers different time signatures.
To warm up I would recommend a section called "the Stone killer" which is just different grouping of left and right handed strokes.
(4) rrrr llll
(8 ) rrrrrrrr llllllll
(12) rrrrrrrrrrrr llllllllllll
(16) rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr llllllllllllllll

Latest posts