Book Recommendations for Beginners?

HotpotDavid

Reaction score
Does anyone still use the N.A.R.D. book of solos? That was my first book. Is it even still in print?

Not teaching privately now but I still have mine from the late sixties. Still has the price of $1.50. Definitely a book that needs to be in your drum library. Ah the good old days!!

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree on Haskell Harr. These are the foundation books for all drumming. When I think they are ready to move to the set I ues Ted Reeds Syncopation. Soon after that we go to Gary Chester's New Breed. There is really no place to go after that because New Breed never ends, in my opinion.

StuSegal

Reaction score
My new book "How To Read Drum Music" will teach you:
  • The notes and rests
  • The time signature
  • How to count whole, 1/2, 1/4 1/8 and 1/16th notes
  • How to count all kinds of triplets
  • The written notation for rolls
  • Dynamics - the notation for plaing loud and soft
  • Where instruments appear on the staff
  • And lots of other useful info
If you don't know how to read, you need to learn - - and my book will teach you.

AND, I have free videos at my website that shows you how to do each example in the book.

Good luck . . . Stu

K-Tone

Reaction score
Many of these aforementioned books are excellent excellent tools for teachers but not where I'd point a beginner. As a teacher of over 10 years, I know that very few of the books on the market teach drumming in relation to music and very few teach the "how-to" without the aid of a teacher.

Please consider taking a look at my interactive ebook Time-Keepers available in iBooks. Loaded with over 30 HD play-along videos like this one: http://vimeo.com/85012241 Time-Keepers is designed to teach someone from the very beginning. No musical experience whatsoever is required. Click here for a FREE sample including 4 HD videos! Available for all iBooks enabled iOS devices.

Pro Drummer acclaim for Time-Keepers:

“I am 100% behind Time-Keepers. It focuses on subject matter that is paramount to those wishing to advance not only as a drummer, but more importantly as a musician. Much respect.” - Chuck Keeping (Big Wreck/Suzie McNeil)

“This is a great book! Meat & Potatoes. All killer, no filler. It’s the book that every beginning student should have. Thanks Kevin, for giving students what they want and teachers an easy and concise way to give it to ‘em." - John M. Wicks (Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, Fitz & The Tantrums)

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Haskell Harr Book 1. There are other topics regarding this. THIS IS THE BEST BEGINNER BOOK AVAILABLE. Nothing replaces a teacher but this book can be gone through by a total beginner. The only part I think is possibly outdated is in the beginning where they tell you how to hold the sticks, and they show traditional grip.

Syncopation i a good book. as is Accents and Rebounds. There are others. But start with Haskell Harr! You can thank me later. Haha

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I am beginning with Buster Bailey's "Wrist Twisters."
I really like it and would recommend it.
I have Stone's "Stick Control," but it's kind of boring still at this point in my studies.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rockin Bass, and Swinging Triplets. They're both fun, if you put a little time in, you'll see quick progress too.
Ya can go through the books over, and over using different HH, or Ride patterns (ex. 8ths ,16th, 1, e, &.......) Those are 2 books i still have.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1000 for Chester's New Breed. I remember playing the hand and feet parts switched. Same with Carmine's Realistic Rock book. Good times! With all these kids wanting to play 500bpm they might scoff at some of these old books. There's still a lot to gain from them.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Reactions: JDA

Latest posts