Boomerang set

HowardW

Reaction score
Anybody ever sold a set then buy it back later? More than once? As in: same set more than once? Twice?

A bit less than two years ago I bought a used PDP FS kit. It needed basic cleanup and heads, and I resold it for a small profit to a high school student. After a few months, the student didn't like drums, so he put it up for sale for a big loss. I saw the ad and immediately bought it back at his price. So I made a small profit.

So again I cleaned it up, put on new heads. My adult son wanted it. So I "sell" it to him (loan from the Bank of Dad) and he played it for a few months, making payments. Then he found a Pork Pie set and "sold" the PDP set back to me. I make a small profit.

So again... new heads. I put it up for sale last April and a young man bought it. Last night, I see it on Craigslist at a significant discount, bundled with other drum gear. I call him, and we negotiate my buying the PDP FS set and the PDP hardware. And for the third time, I've made a small profit.

I'm wondering if this is a sign from above: "Howard, thou shalt keep this set amongst thy collection."

Let me be honest, I'm not deeply in love with the birch tone, but I don't dislike it either. I have a drum collection of sorts, and most of them are vintage sets. I also have two contemporary maple sets. All of them have their own unique sound (well, the two Slingerland kits sound almost the same) and while the birch is different, it's not really a sound that's outstanding. The birch kit is like Ross on Friends.

So... should I keep it?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Anybody ever sold a set then buy it back later? More than once? As in: same set more than once? Twice?

A bit less than two years ago I bought a used PDP FS kit. It needed basic cleanup and heads, and I resold it for a small profit to a high school student. After a few months, the student didn't like drums, so he put it up for sale for a big loss. I saw the ad and immediately bought it back at his price. So I made a small profit.

So again I cleaned it up, put on new heads. My adult son wanted it. So I "sell" it to him (loan from the Bank of Dad) and he played it for a few months, making payments. Then he found a Pork Pie set and "sold" the PDP set back to me. I make a small profit.

So again... new heads. I put it up for sale last April and a young man bought it. Last night, I see it on Craigslist at a significant discount, bundled with other drum gear. I call him, and we negotiate my buying the PDP FS set and the PDP hardware. And for the third time, I've made a small profit.

I'm wondering if this is a sign from above: "Howard, thou shalt keep this set amongst thy collection."

Let me be honest, I'm not deeply in love with the birch tone, but I don't dislike it either. I have a drum collection of sorts, and most of them are vintage sets. I also have two contemporary maple sets. All of them have their own unique sound (well, the two Slingerland kits sound almost the same) and while the birch is different, it's not really a sound that's outstanding. The birch kit is like Ross on Friends.

So... should I keep it?
Use it to buy other gear, like a fish lure.
I haven't done the boomerang thing yet but I have had the notion that some gear finds the player and or in this case stays with them.

Cpb282

Reaction score
Good point... maybe get another Gretsch... but the hassle of selling is a PITA and the margins get smaller each time around B)
Sell it. As you said, you’re not deeply in love with the tone. Play the set(s) with the tone that you’re deeply in love with. Life is too short.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but I bought a "custom" DW "clone" kit from a guy on eBay, didn't like them, tried to offload them for nearly a year, and then reached out to the seller and sold them back to him. It cost me $50 extra in shipping from what I paid but he had regretted selling them so win-win.

Lesson learned was that no matter how awesome a custom built drum set is (these were Keller shells, glass wrap, built by Precision, and $2K+ if new), it is only custom to the one person who built them. Nobody else cares. Although these were tasteful, and not some funky design/color, I most likely won't go down that path again.......